Bayern Munich (H) - CL QF | Post Match Thread

My first comment since the game. Amazing atmosphere even though them fuckers were unbelievably loud. I mean the loudest I’ve heard in forty plus years of watching football. The way we battled head on through that first half gale was impressive. at the end they were rattled, they played well, very well but walked away with a 3-0 defeat and it could have been more. At 4-0 I would say it was job done but not at 3-0. Every single City player was brilliant, BUT, we were very open down our right, their left. Leroy made runs and most of the time they didn’t find him soon enough giving us chance to get back in numbers. Eddie‘s save was a tie winner as was Rubén’s goal saving block. I was chuffed when Alvarez came on, he’s such a bundle of energy, plus great corners! I can see Walker being involved in the second leg to stem that flow down the right, Pep may even go for a back five. Last night we played with patience but also knew we had to force it in the end to get a decent lead. Let’s get this done.
A Rodri special will seal it....
(or a Haaland tap in ;-) )

To be fair to them De Bruyne was off the pitch when Rodri kicked it out, I didn't mind them at all last night (apart from Pavard). It was actually a breath of fresh air Bayern playing the way they did. Most weeks come to our place and spend most of the time wasting time with goal kicks and throw ins ect
They went toe to toe with us and really enjoyed it.
Totally agree. It was the best quality game i have seen all season. They were excellent for the most part and brought the best out of us. Enthralling match.

There seems to be widespread agreement that the match was evenly balanced for an hour before City "overpowered" Bayern, but few analysts have tried to explain how and why the Germans went from a team comfortable in possession which carried menace in their play to a defensive shambles which always looked likely to concede and rarely, if at all, threatened. The best, and just about the only, analysis is that provided by Michael Brown, Nedum and Steph Houghton after the match. For them the key was the replacement of KdB by Julien Alvarez, an attacking midfielder by a striker, who played as such. This strengthened our press, giving us four to press their back four and two minutes later Upamecano was pressed into the serious mistake which led to our second. City pressure provoked a defensive disintegration which ended Bayern's match as an attacking force and disrupted them as a unit. Both Michael and Nedum agreed that Pep also saw this as a defensive substitution ... by bringing on a striker! We've often said that Pep doesn't see football in the same way as others do and this shows how he can change the face of a match by one substitution. As the two pointed out, though, when it doesn't work Pep is accused of "overthinking" and "tinkering". Most likely he is simply a football genius!
thats a great summary and how i saw it. Upemecano looked superb first half, he was passing through our lines and finding Musiala in the center constantly. They had us turned around quite a few times. When Alvarez came on, that pass was gone and our press tightened right up. Upemecano had no out ball and started to panic.

Most of me wants Chelsea because it's Frank Lampard against Pep Guardiola in a CL semi-final and we'd take the piss.

But then another part of me wants Madrid to fuck those demons off from last season. Same stage of the competition, perfect time for the players to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Still wound up at that first leg last season, we should've walked away from that with 6/7 goals and a 3/4 goal lead.
To win it having beaten Madrid and Bayern would be nice. AC Milan scalp in final to do all the history boys in one year

I see Mane hit Sane in the face post game.
So player who was total shit after he came on had a pop with obe if Bayern's best OUTFIELD player on the night.
Nice.

There seems to be widespread agreement that the match was evenly balanced for an hour before City "overpowered" Bayern, but few analysts have tried to explain how and why the Germans went from a team comfortable in possession which carried menace in their play to a defensive shambles which always looked likely to concede and rarely, if at all, threatened. The best, and just about the only, analysis is that provided by Michael Brown, Nedum and Steph Houghton after the match. For them the key was the replacement of KdB by Julien Alvarez, an attacking midfielder by a striker, who played as such. This strengthened our press, giving us four to press their back four and two minutes later Upamecano was pressed into the serious mistake which led to our second. City pressure provoked a defensive disintegration which ended Bayern's match as an attacking force and disrupted them as a unit. Both Michael and Nedum agreed that Pep also saw this as a defensive substitution ... by bringing on a striker! We've often said that Pep doesn't see football in the same way as others do and this shows how he can change the face of a match by one substitution. As the two pointed out, though, when it doesn't work Pep is accused of "overthinking" and "tinkering". Most likely he is simply a football genius!
Great Post. Alvarez was excellent when he came on.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.