Bayern v City post match thread

I noticed that Roberto Mancini also reached the second round of the Champions League with Galatasaray.

We can't play them in the next round though.

SWP's back said:
Maldeika said:
totalfootball said:
City did what they've been doing all season. Create chances and score goals without having too much of the ball. Guardiola warned his players that City can score goals very quickly, they didn't listen to him because they are too arrogant. They thought they were "untouchable".

If Bayern fans are claiming that their team weren't trying, then we can make the similar claim that City weren't trying the first 20 minutes.

City was not only not trying. They were scared to get bundles after Müller and Götze scored. And yes, the Bayern players were somehow arrogant. They thought they can bring home that match without a big effort then and got slobby. Somehow understandable, too - the most of the players did not get any rests during the recent weeks because of the injury problems and it is the last 4 matches until the break with the highlight still following. And then the match just went its way.

Müller called it the best worst-case-scenario. If something could go wrong it was that match and with this end. You loose but at the end you still are the winner as it could have been worse. You have the learning effect that matches can go this way so you keep concentrated the next times (they did after Arsenal the last year for a very long time) - but everything ran so smoothly recently that they maybe thought nothing can harm them. Guardiola even told that it was good that they lost again. For City it was different. Yes, it was a win - but at the end it was a loss as you weren't far away from winning the group and partly lost it out of stupidity. Your players aren't newbies and the awayrule ain't something really strange and difficult. The most fans knew about it. In the Bayern forums they were joking during the match when Hart was slowing the match down at the end that they do not know - that it was like this is somehow funny.

What did it show at the end? As long as Bayern kept concentrated and really worked for it they had the upper hand in both matches. But ManCity - no matter if first team or filled up with bench players - is no team you can play careless against. And - you can win against Bayern if they let you.

I was in the Bayernforum yesterday night. And even if nobody likes loosing a lot just thought that it was not bad that they did. Gets them on the floor again. And kills the hype a little.
What an arrogant **** you come across as. This is why you are the rags of Germany.

See you in the latter stages I hope.

We've heard it all before, Sam, as you rightly say.. The thing is, the mob we heard it from before have gone very quiet in recent times.

Maybe a lesson in humility to be learned there by our German friends?

Maldeika said:
Bodicoteblue said:
I have spent all day listening to " experts " , rags , and plastics of all sorts telling me that it was a meaningless game as both teams were already through yaddayadda, which led me to thinking - if this game had been vital for qualification , for either side , could Bayern have put out a stronger side from their available pool of players and could we have done the same .
I think we know the answer.

No, Bayern could not - or the quality would be different and the playstyle would differ, but the overall quality would not improve. A fit Schweinsteiger for sure is more mature than a Thiago - but e.g. playing Thiago has advantages and disadvantages to playing Schweinsteiger. And a really fit Martinez is better for stability. But you actually played the better team some weeks ago and you know the outcome then, too. It is not only up to persons but to situations. Nobody ever denied that of a couple of matches against Bayern Manchester City could win some. But do some people here really believe that Bayern in their normal form are less strong than Manchester City in their normal form? It was the second or third match they lost this calendar year and the first after 10 CL matches against difficult opponents with a 28:3 goal difference (2 of the goals were penalties).

Last week you lost to Newcastle. Do you really believe that Newcastle is a stronger side than your team is? Or that Sunderland is? You have some great players, too.

Bayern sucked Tuesday - and your B-Team played a good match after the first half hour. Events went their way. I still do not know how a big man like Milner can fall so easily - but there was contact and it seems that even the tough English guys do not try to stay up in that situations. I remember that for the next time when it is a German or Bayern player that falls easily after a contact. Both Bayern goals could have been offside - but if they only have been slightly. I stopped to blame anybody if it is tight situations - on Saturday the first regular goal was stopped for an offside that was not. It is difficult for the referees to see that.

I hope everybody enjoyed the trip to Bavaria and Munich. I love that city and like to go there myself.

------------------

Seems like not only some City players did not know all about the goal rules. Neuer told to the press that he was not sure everybody of the Bayern team knew that they were not allowed to get another goal. Müller thought he was in a false film as he wanted to do the corner tango already in minute 87 and wondered why at an own corner 2 minutes later some of the Bayern defenders were wandering into the City box... - and Kroos told that the ones who knew it tried to hold back the others.
Ah-ha!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68C-r9kSLNE[/youtube]

Did this game not show everyone why Dzeko is 100x better up front on his own ?

When we do use dzeko i would pick this team although maybe put yaya in for garcia and Kompany in for Demichelis

Bodicoteblue said:
The idea that it was a "meaningless dead rubber " might have been taken more seriously , had Bayern put out a team of second stringers and reserves , but the fact they sent out their strongest possible eleven and the stadium seemed to be full , told me that they were taking it very seriously indeed both on and off the pitch .

I don't think that the usual suspects among the "football family" in England would ever claim that it was anything other than a dead rubber after the result. This is the kind of result that European clubs knew would happen one day and hoped that they wouldn't be on the wrong end of it. Le Figaro yesterday wrote that this result has probably not made City one of the real favourites for the trophy but has shown that they can beat anyone on their day, and none of the group winners will want to draw them. Ancelotti has echoed this sentiment. In Munich, I suspect the mood is probably much calmer. Guardiola knows, as his press conference shows, that City are a very dangerous team indeed, but also that his team play more consistently at a higher level than anyone else and will still be favourites to lift the trophy in May. I'd be very surprised if he, or his players, took refuge in spurious claims that they weren't "bothered" about a "meaningless, dead rubber". Guardiola and his players haven't reached the summit of the game without talent and a fierce competitive edge: I believe Strachan said on ITV that Bayern "don't do friendlies" (as we saw in Munich in August!) and he's right. I think the players that we admire so much in England, Neuer, Lahm, Kroos, Muller, Gotze (and not only the German lads, but the likes of Ribery etc) are genuinely very proud to play for Bayern and professional pride means they never give less than 100%. Tuesday, though, was City's night and deservedly so. I'm certainly not saying we'd do it regularly in Munich, but you can't rule City out anywhere (well, maybe Cardiff!).

This, of course, is what United fans, in and out of the media, fear most - a City team which is areal power in Europe, something they have said would never happen and clearly is taking shape. What has happened to "typical City"? OH, quick, it's still there! They still cocked it up! They're no good at Maths! Well, sorry ragtops, we won, we beat the best team in the world, we scored 3 to do it and we're glad you think we should have won by an even bigger margin.

PS bayern fan Good to hear from you and your comments were much appreciated, especially as they give an objective view of our team. Thanks and hope to hear from you again - hopefully when we play you again in the final!!!!

Maldeika said:
Bodicoteblue said:
I have spent all day listening to " experts " , rags , and plastics of all sorts telling me that it was a meaningless game as both teams were already through yaddayadda, which led me to thinking - if this game had been vital for qualification , for either side , could Bayern have put out a stronger side from their available pool of players and could we have done the same .
I think we know the answer.

No, Bayern could not - or the quality would be different and the playstyle would differ, but the overall quality would not improve. A fit Schweinsteiger for sure is more mature than a Thiago - but e.g. playing Thiago has advantages and disadvantages to playing Schweinsteiger. And a really fit Martinez is better for stability. But you actually played the better team some weeks ago and you know the outcome then, too. It is not only up to persons but to situations. Nobody ever denied that of a couple of matches against Bayern Manchester City could win some. But do some people here really believe that Bayern in their normal form are less strong than Manchester City in their normal form? It was the second or third match they lost this calendar year and the first after 10 CL matches against difficult opponents with a 28:3 goal difference (2 of the goals were penalties).

Last week you lost to Newcastle. Do you really believe that Newcastle is a stronger side than your team is? Or that Sunderland is? You have some great players, too.

Bayern sucked Tuesday - and your B-Team played a good match after the first half hour. Events went their way. I still do not know how a big man like Milner can fall so easily - but there was contact and it seems that even the tough English guys do not try to stay up in that situations. I remember that for the next time when it is a German or Bayern player that falls easily after a contact. Both Bayern goals could have been offside - but if they only have been slightly. I stopped to blame anybody if it is tight situations - on Saturday the first regular goal was stopped for an offside that was not. It is difficult for the referees to see that.

I hope everybody enjoyed the trip to Bavaria and Munich. I love that city and like to go there myself.

------------------

Seems like not only some City players did not know all about the goal rules. Neuer told to the press that he was not sure everybody of the Bayern team knew that they were not allowed to get another goal. Müller thought he was in a false film as he wanted to do the corner tango already in minute 87 and wondered why at an own corner 2 minutes later some of the Bayern defenders were wandering into the City box... - and Kroos told that the ones who knew it tried to hold back the others.

Typical bollocks you spout time and time again. Also, we didn't lose to Newcastle. So what about Barca's excuse for losing 7-0 last season over the two legs? The fact Messi wasn't 100% is a decent argument. They would still say they are the better team. The point is you don't get involved in those things. If the best team won all the time it would be dull and boring. You seem to think the 3-1 game is the benchmark for measuring both sides. You're wrong. That was a strong Bayern side and you lost. It was not our strongest side and we won. Do I think Bayern are still better than City? I'm not sure. Probably yes. But I feel we can beat anyone. That is the nature of football.

First post here, and my view on why we won:

1. Tactically, for once, Pellegrini outwitted Guardiola. I think G congratulated Pellegrini at the end of the match not just on the victory, but also on how he set up the team. (I read lips :-)
2. Pressing, everyone giving their 100%. Ideally, this is how it should be played every match.
3. Zaba replacing Richards early on. Ribery immediately stopped with his runs, and it brought us composure and some threat from his side.
4. Dzeko practically won everything in the air, did not misplace a single pass, (a goal was missing to round the day) and most importantly, shut down Kroos.
5. Although all were fantastic, Milner just had his day, not just offensively, but also helped reduce the pressure on the back 4.

Going forward, I would rethink the formation, 1 man upfront may not be such a bad idea afterall.

We may not be even aware of the importance and the size of this victory - these were reigning champions of Europe, wreaking Havoc from Barcelona to Moscow. And they were outplayed big time from 30 min onwards.

LJ75 said:

1. Tactically, for once, Pellegrini outwitted Guardiola. I think G congratulated Pellegrini at the end of the match not just on the victory, but also on how he set up the team. (I read lips :-)
2. Pressing, everyone giving their 100%. Ideally, this is how it should be played every match.
3. Zaba replacing Richards early on. Ribery immediately stopped with his runs, and it brought us composure and some threat from his side.
4. Dzeko practically won everything in the air, did not misplace a single pass, (a goal was missing to round the day) and most importantly, shut down Kroos.
5. Although all were fantastic, Milner just had his day, not just offensively, but also helped reduce the pressure on the back 4.

Going forward, I would rethink the formation, 1 man upfront may not be such a bad idea afterall.

We may not be even aware of the importance and the size of this victory - these were reigning champions of Europe, wreaking Havoc from Barcelona to Moscow. And they were outplayed big time from 30 min onwards.

But in the first 15 minutes City players were playing with fear and anxiety.

totalfootball said:
LJ75 said:

But in the first 15 minutes City players were playing with fear and anxiety.

where did we sign them from?...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.