BBC SPOTY | Team of the Year: CITY | Coach of the Year: GUARDIOLA | World Sport Star: HAALAND

But he didn't qualify to go on that list

Thats the reason he was excluded.
Same reason as Katie Taylor, John Rahm and Djokovic are better sports stars than Mary Earps but don't meet the criteria either
I think he did qualify actually, at least on the criteria published last year and I can’t find a 2023 version as none appears to have been published.

None of the people you mentioned would have met the criteria, but Haaland does.

But he didn't qualify to go on that list

Thats the reason he was excluded.
Same reason as Katie Taylor, John Rahm and Djokovic are better sports stars than Mary Earps but don't meet the criteria either

Also remember Aguerro spent a decade with us and won what? 15 trophies? Never got even a sniff of the Overseas Award. Haaland could score 100 goals in a season in a City team that won all 4 domestic trophies and everything in Europe over a 15 year career in the UK whilst saving a kid from a burning car, opening 20 foodbanks and obtaining UK Citizenship and still the headlines would be "Norwegian footballer flaunts his wealth in the faces of the poor and starving by offering supermarket cheap own brand beans " - we are City and we know the score folks

4 major awards go to Manchester, oh dear those cheeky scouse scallies will be screaming fix. Oh dear, what a pity, never mind.

I think he did qualify actually, at least on the criteria published last year and I can’t find a 2023 version as none appears to have been published.

None of the people you mentioned would have met the criteria, but Haaland does.
This is the criteria for 2023

Sportspeople are eligible to be nominated for the BBC Sports Personality of the Year award if they are UK citizens or all of the following criteria apply:

• they play a significant amount of their sport in the UK; and
  • their core achievements that year were achieved in the UK, and not with a non-UK based team (in which case they would more likely qualify for the World Sport Star award); and
  • they have been a resident in the UK for a minimum of 10 years.
Non-playing coaches or management are not eligible.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.