BBC

It's been criticised from many quarters even it's own staff for being too woke, it's not perception at all. If people want it they should pay, if people don't want it then they shouldn't have to. Now my opinion is based on what I see and nobody should pay for this not fit for service relic of days gone by just for some dewy eyed notion that it reflects society and is a cause for good.

If you don't use terrestrial TV, you don't have to pay.
If you do, there's a charge to do so.

The rest is opinion.

if they kill the licence fee then the 2 options are

1) Subscription ala netflix, the main down side would be it would probably kill the world service, and would absolutely kill BBC Radio stations, thye maybe able to put them onto streaming services etc but for people with radio's, Looking at Netflix im not sure this would actually limit creativity thankfully. on the plus side it opens up the BBC to the rest of the world and could potentially bring in more than the licence does if they place it at the right price point and create the content people want. Not sure how the likes of Killing Eve would fair with it being a collaboration.

2) Adverts. which would kill the creativity in the most part. advertisers would be in control in effect as they wouldn't pay to put there ad's during shows that they deem risky. So the likes of Monty Pyton, Young ones etc would never get the chance to exist in a world like that.

if they kill the licence fee then the 2 options are

1) Subscription ala netflix, the main down side would be it would probably kill the world service, and would absolutely kill BBC Radio stations, thye maybe able to put them onto streaming services etc but for people with radio's, Looking at Netflix im not sure this would actually limit creativity thankfully. on the plus side it opens up the BBC to the rest of the world and could potentially bring in more than the licence does if they place it at the right price point and create the content people want. Not sure how the likes of Killing Eve would fair with it being a collaboration.

2) Adverts. which would kill the creativity in the most part. advertisers would be in control in effect as they wouldn't pay to put there ad's during shows that they deem risky. So the likes of Monty Pyton, Young ones etc would never get the chance to exist in a world like that.
3. State funded, no?

If you guys enjoy BBC, brilliant, more power to you.

I and others who are advocating the "tax" being scrapped do not. I genuinely cannot think of any programming the BBC produces currently that I enjoy or watch regularly. 10 years ago, maybe, but now I get my kicks elsewhere.

So it's time to be funded via subscription for those who champion it, and allow those who don't the freedom to enjoy the things we enjoy without being tied to a compulsory tax for something we don't. That has to be the fairest solution.
It is not compulsory. You already do not have to pay the licence fee if you don’t want to.

It’s called a TV Licence but if you buy a tele and don’t plug the aerial in the thing and just have the internet access from your SmartTV for ITVhub/All4/My5 (all legal to watch without a TV Licence since September 2016) or watching online streams or using Netflix/Amazon/Curzon or dodgy boxes with everything built in; you can watch tele 24/7 without having to pay the licence fee.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe if the BBC stopped being so left/liberal and stopped with the constant drip of propaganda then it wouldn't gave come to this. It's not quaint it's insidious IMO.

Ahh this good ole argument.

centralists think its pretty much spot on.
Lefties see it as being right biased.
Righties see it as being left biased.

while its not perfect ( lots of things are not covered that should be ), its reasonably well balanced,

The license fee works out at just over £12 per month. Almost half goes to fund radio, including local and international stations and the web site. Orchestras, bands and choral groups are funded from this as well. Personally I think its far better value than almost the same amount as Netflix which doesn't and will never fund radio, websites etc

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.