Beckham

Tbh he was on the bidding team that won us the olympics, he deserves to be in the team and as he will be the most experienced deserves captaincy. Yes he is a twat, but in the last 15 years or whatever he's done his best for England through and through. Cost us the 98 world cup (well a proper shot at it) but got us to 2002, and played through a metatarsal injury in one world cup and scored a free kick vs Ecuador at the 2006 world cup when it looked like we wouldnt make it out the groups. He's a **** off the pitch but only cos he slates us, deserves to play in the olympics in our country and then after that lets hope he fucks off to LA and stays there.

MCFC1993 said:
Tbh he was on the bidding team that won us the olympics, he deserves to be in the team and as he will be the most experienced deserves captaincy. Yes he is a twat, but in the last 15 years or whatever he's done his best for England through and through. Cost us the 98 world cup (well a proper shot at it) but got us to 2002, and played through a metatarsal injury in one world cup and scored a free kick vs Ecuador at the 2006 world cup when it looked like we wouldnt make it out the groups. He's a **** off the pitch but only cos he slates us, deserves to play in the olympics in our country and then after that lets hope he fucks off to LA and stays there.

So should Seb Coe be in the GB Athletics team? He was part of the bidding team, so by that reasoning he should play a part. And no he doesn't deserve a place. As JMA said, it just makes a complete mockery of the Olympics ethos if a bloke is being picked ahead of much better athletes solely because he has more celebrity status than them. And no, do not tell its for footballing reasons, or I'll scream. Done his best for England? Like what getting deliberately booked against Wales, just so he could get one over Ben Thatcher? Becoming the first England player to get sent off twice? He was poor in 2002 and 2006, but the Beckham hype machine, makes it look like he was good, because he's scored an awful penalty, and a free-kick against Ecuador. The fact they needed a free-kick to beat them says a hell of a lot more about how rubbish he and England were. He does not deserve a place in the Olympics.

GAZZA said:
He has also signed back with LA Galaxy even though "there were several Premier League clubs offering him a contract". I honestly think no English club offered him a contract because he's gone at the game so he had to go back to LA.
The trouble with Beckham now is, without football he has absolutely nothing to offer.
im probably misunderstanding that but he will continue to make money and promote brand beckham long long long after he retires from football.

MCFC1993 said:

He was also on the team trying to get us the World Cup 2018 - and failed!

Beckham will be in the team 100% because he will shift tickets. There are enough Beckham sycophants out there to fill Wembley for each England game, er sorry, GB team's game.
The press will focus on Beckham which will then raise the nation's knowledge of the tournament. Without the Brand Beckham, Wembley will be lucky to be half full.......

MCFC1993 said:
Tbh he was on the bidding team that won us the olympics, he deserves to be in the team
That's some quite unbelievable logic there.

And great post JMA; I wholeheartedly agree with every word.

And who are these people who would go to watch a football match purely because David Beckham was playing? I'm yet to meet anyone who would do such a thing.

Likewise, who is buying all these shirts people bang on about? Will some sad cunts really go out and buy a GB shirt with the name of a washed-up 37-year-old has-been part-time footballer on the back? Why would anyone do something like that?

I live in the land of the glory hunter and I've never seen anyone walking around in an AC Milan or LA Galaxy shirt with his name on the back, and why would they?

My theory is that it's Beckham himself who buys all these shirts just to keep the myth alive ;-)

Spot on from JMA, this man is the most relentlessly overhyped sportsman in history. I wouldn't mind so much about the continual media-whoring if he'd actually achieved anything concrete with England at major championships. Instead his pathetic retaliation cost the chance of progress in the 1998 WC and his couldn't-give-a-shit captain's performance against Portugal capped by his bizarre penalty miss did for England's Euro 2004 chances.

Hold the history books, maybe he'll lead "Team GB" to Olympic glory - which as a football competition is the international equivalent of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy!!

Thinking about it, the Olympics is the most relentlessly overhyped sporting event in history so perhaps the two are ideally suited, I must remember to check that the OFF button on the TV remote is in working order come August.

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
Dubai Blue said:
And who are these people who would go to watch a football match purely because David Beckham was playing? I'm yet to meet anyone who would do such a thing.

Women, children (who believe the hype) and gay men.

And rags.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.