Benefits Britain 1949 (TV Program)

Thought the middle aged womann was an example of how difficult the situation had become, she actually said she would not work again as she felt she has already given enough. I'm not saying she isn't ill, but she was given an opportunity and she just point blank refused, I felt because it would undermine her incapacity claim under the modern system. There has to be help for people and she clearly needs special support, but she was in my opinion capable of some kind of employment. The young lad with spina bifada just backed this up when he managed to do well in an office type job and her attitude towards him at the end was appalling trying to argue she deserved the benefit more. The old guy just made me sad, as he has worked all his life and deserves all that society can afford to give him, and it didn't feel right to me to upset him for the sake of the experiment.

I don't know much about this subject, but don't think anyone should get anything for nothing. If the two disabled people in this programme cannot or unable to secure employment. There should be compulsory training or community work in exchange for benefits. Unless you are so ill you are bed bound, or a carer then there is something you can give back surely, turning up every two weeks is not enough. There are many things that couldn't be organised like community centres, youth projects, cleaning, adult education, play groups etc.

that fat lazy cow's son had a rag shirt for every day of the week.

should've stopped the benefits for that alone.

I missed the start so some things I say might be wrong.

That woman's attitude is a result of the modern system. She expects to be given everything on a plate no questions asked. They offered her work, work that was being done by a lady who had lost her hand, but she point blank refused to even try. There's no way she was totally incapable of work altogether. The problem is, kids grow up with parent(s) like this and they expect the same. No work ethic at all. I don't usually get angry about stuff like this because I know as long as there are fat, lazy twats like her about I'll never struggle to get a job but she really annoyed me. Especially at the end when she seemed to have a go at the young lad.

In contrast the lad in the wheelchair was given a chance and went for it. You could see the pride he had when he was given the job. It's disgraceful that he hadn't been given chances like that before. He was clearly capable and willing to work but for whatever reason the 2013 system failed him. I wonder how many people have started off like him but eventually lost heart and settled into the benefits lifestyle, giving up all hope of finding employment. It was to his credit that he showed a good attitude but after years of being handed money for nothing there will be people who end up like that woman.

Were the woman's ailments a result of her weight, or was her weight a result of her ailments?

I'd imagine lots of people on sickness benefits would suddenly be fit to work if benefits were stopped. Lots of people would probably die too so its a tad difficult.

Perhaps more stringent tests are required to weed out the genuine claimants :)

Don't base much of your opinions on a Channel 4 documentary.

They are well known these days to just twist, manipulate or make shit up just to get ratings and people talking etc.

Give it a few weeks and I'll imagine information will come out of how they edited things to make them look bad etc.

The fact is the governments own statistics put benefit fraud for illness and disability at less than 1%, even if you were to triple it, it wouldn't reach 2%.

argyle said:
Don't base much of your opinions on a Channel 4 documentary.

They are well known these days to just twist, manipulate or make shit up just to get ratings and people talking etc.

Give it a few weeks and I'll imagine information will come out of how they edited things to make them look bad etc.

The fact is the governments own statistics put benefit fraud for illness and disability at less than 1%, even if you were to triple it, it wouldn't reach 2%.
No one said there was any benefit fraud on the show at all. I dont think it was even trying to imply that unless I smoked to much crystal meth last night and missed the point entirely

Yeah I don't think there was any fraud going on, even though as I said the middle aged woman looked to be capable of working, whatever problems she has they will be seen as bad enough to receive incapacity benefits under the current system. It just seems to me with the huge financial burden the benefit system has that something should be given back, and unless impossible all claimants should see themselves as eventually gaining employment. If they refuse they should be punished. Disability should not be seen as a reason not to work by anyone, having said that in the case of the young lad, it would appear much more could be done to help.

Selfishly I get quite annoyed because often people living from benefits seen on tv seem to have better houses than mine, and possibly earn more money. A completely seperate issue but the working poor get completely forgoton about, and can be living in poverty and at times perhaps in a worse situation than a large family living off benefits alone.

I hope they do a program where people are taxed at 1949 rates and Bankers get 1949 style bonuses.

Im actually getting very fucked off with these constant programmes about welfare claimaints and the way they influence peoples opinions with extreme examples,

The demonisation of the poorest people continues apace.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.