Bernard Halford - a mystery!

Mad Eyed Screamer

OK, expect a bit of flack for this... but here goes....

Can someone please explain how Bernard Halford has been transformed from being a Swales lacky into City's version of The Queen Mother?

I recall the days when he was club secretary in the 70's - 90's and over seeing all aspects of the club during the Swales era - many that had a negative effect on the ''ordinary match going fan''.
He was paid bloody well to do his job badly (the Gillingham ticket fiasco for starters), yet now as he is retired, he is the clubs ''Life President'' and goes up on Cup Final day with the team to get to wave the cup in the air. The other week I was watching the game and there he is getting off the team coach! What the fuck is that all about??

At least Bobby Charlton played for the rags......

I just feel that Halford is being transformed into this ''representing City from the past today'' ..... he was a (very well) paid employee of the club..... I would rather see Tony Book up there with the players lifting the cup, rather see Tommy Booth sat on the coach with the players, not a former administrative employee of the club who was no friend of the fans at the time, lapping it up in his own moments of extended glory.....

I have no personal malice to Bernard.... it's just there are more deserving names - that fans can relate to - that should be sharing the limelight...

Ask yourself this...... if we have to have one, who should be 'Life President' of the club? Tony Book (legendary captain and former manager).... Alan Oakes (most appearances), Bert Trautmann (need I say more?) or Bernard Halford, former club secretary....)

You decide......

Mad Eyed Screamer said:

Can someone please explain how Bernard Halford has been transformed from being a Swales lacky into City's version of The Queen Mother?

I recall the days when he was club secretary in the 70's - 90's and over seeing all aspects of the club during the Swales era - many that had a negative effect on the ''ordinary match going fan''.
He was paid bloody well to do his job badly (the Gillingham ticket fiasco for starters), yet now as he is retired, he is the clubs ''Life President'' and goes up on Cup Final day with the team to get to wave the cup in the air. The other week I was watching the game and there he is getting off the team coach! What the fuck is that all about??

I just feel that Halford is being transformed into this ''representing City from the past today'' ..... he was a (very well) paid employee of the club..... I would rather see Tony Book up there with the players lifting the cup, rather see Tommy Booth sat on the bench with the players, not a former administrative employee of the club who was no friend of the fans at the time, lapping it up in his own moments of extended glory.....

I have no personal malice to Bernard.... it's just there are more deserving names - that fans can relate to - that should be sharing the limelight...

Ask yourself this...... if we have to have one, who should be 'Life President' of the club? Tony Book (legendary captain and former manager).... Alan Oakes (most appearances), Bert Trautmann (need I say more?) or Bernard Halford, former club secretary....)

You decide......

Fully agree. I couldn't get my head round his recent 'St Bob of Geldof' status either?

Mad Eyed Screamer said:

I just feel that Halford is being transformed into this ''representing City from the past today'' ..... he was a (very well) paid employee of the club..... I would rather see Tony Book up there with the players lifting the cup, rather see Tommy Booth sat on the coach with the players, not a former administrative employee of the club who was no friend of the fans at the time, lapping it up in his own moments of extended glory.....

You decide......

No effing players could take that position...It had to be someone that have taken part of the inner life of the club för several decades.

City in the Community
What the Media says
NextGen Series
Academy News

Season 2009/10

Tue 30 Mar 2010, 2:37PM
Posted by Chris Bailey

Manchester City is delighted to announce that long-serving club secretary Bernard Halford is to become only the second Life President in the club’s 116-year history.

The move comes as Bernard, known throughout the game as ‘Mr Manchester City’, prepares to celebrate 50 years of golden service to the game he loves – the vast majority of which has been spent at Maine Road and then the City of Manchester Stadium.

Born and raised in Chadderton, on completing his education at St Gregory’s in Ardwick in 1956 - and after a spell in the cotton industry - Bernard joined his local club, Oldham Athletic, as assistant secretary and later secretary before, 13 years later, fulfilling a boyhood dream by joining his beloved Blues as Company Secretary.

The new title was conferred today by City Chief Executive Officer Garry Cook.

“His contribution to this club has been immeasurable,” said Mr Cook. “He is respected and adored by all the staff and we are delighted to make him a Life President, only the second in our history.

“Behind the scenes he is one of the most respected faces in English football - recognised wherever he goes at all levels of the game. It has been our honour and a great source of pride for us as a football club to have Bernard as our secretary for more than three decades.

“He has brought wonderful commitment to his work and this is our way of saying a thank-you to him for all his tireless effort.

“There are not many people who are recognised in sport simply by their first names, but mention Manchester City and Bernard and everyone knows you are referring to Mr Halford.

“He will make a wonderful Life President and is a more than worthy recipient of the title.”

Bernard was a hugely influential figure in the creation of the club’s supporters’ organisations, helped with the founding of the Junior Blues - now Live4City - and is one of the great advocates of grassroots football in Manchester. He has always had close links with the Academy.

In 2002 he completed 30 years' service with City and in 2006 was elected to the club’s Hall of Fame.

Following his appointment as a Life President, joining Sidney Rose in that capacity, Bernard will remain full time with the club and will continue his influential roles in terms of liaison with the Football Association and supporter communication. He will also be involved in a number of ongoing club initiatives.

An announcement with regard to the Club secretarial role will be made in the near future.

Oh you mean this Bernard Halford who`s spent more than half his life with City.

oakiecokie said:
City in the Community
What the Media says
NextGen Series
Academy News

Season 2009/10

Posted by Chris Bailey

Manchester City is delighted to announce that long-serving club secretary Bernard Halford is to become only the second Life President in the club’s 116-year history.

The move comes as Bernard, known throughout the game as ‘Mr Manchester City’, prepares to celebrate 50 years of golden service to the game he loves – the vast majority of which has been spent at Maine Road and then the City of Manchester Stadium.

Born and raised in Chadderton, on completing his education at St Gregory’s in Ardwick in 1956 - and after a spell in the cotton industry - Bernard joined his local club, Oldham Athletic, as assistant secretary and later secretary before, 13 years later, fulfilling a boyhood dream by joining his beloved Blues as Company Secretary.

“His contribution to this club has been immeasurable,” said Mr Cook. “He is respected and adored by all the staff and we are delighted to make him a Life President, only the second in our history.

“Behind the scenes he is one of the most respected faces in English football - recognised wherever he goes at all levels of the game. It has been our honour and a great source of pride for us as a football club to have Bernard as our secretary for more than three decades.

“He has brought wonderful commitment to his work and this is our way of saying a thank-you to him for all his tireless effort.

“There are not many people who are recognised in sport simply by their first names, but mention Manchester City and Bernard and everyone knows you are referring to Mr Halford.

“He will make a wonderful Life President and is a more than worthy recipient of the title.”

Bernard was a hugely influential figure in the creation of the club’s supporters’ organisations, helped with the founding of the Junior Blues - now Live4City - and is one of the great advocates of grassroots football in Manchester. He has always had close links with the Academy.

In 2002 he completed 30 years' service with City and in 2006 was elected to the club’s Hall of Fame.

Following his appointment as a Life President, joining Sidney Rose in that capacity, Bernard will remain full time with the club and will continue his influential roles in terms of liaison with the Football Association and supporter communication. He will also be involved in a number of ongoing club initiatives.

An announcement with regard to the Club secretarial role will be made in the near future.

We spend our 'whole' life devoted to City but we don't get paid handsomely for the privilege.

But yeah, it's that Bernard Halford.

S04 said:
Mad Eyed Screamer said:

You decide......

No effing players could take that position...It had to be someone that have taken part of the inner life of the club för several decades.

Even if they were Swales' lacky and came out against the fans on quite a few occasions?

How many other clubs have dragged the past up when collecting the Cup???? None that I can recall. Halford has been trading on the Neil Young / Mercer / Allison ticket.....

oakiecokie said:
City in the Community
What the Media says
NextGen Series
Academy News

Season 2009/10

Posted by Chris Bailey

Quoted from the official club website..... a job at the politburo awaits you my friend ;)
Known throughout the game as ''Mr Manchester City''????? By whom????? Not the fans......
''Mention Manchester City and Bernard.....'' it's all myth making but people are too scared to question it.

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
S04 said:
Mad Eyed Screamer said:

You decide......

Even if they were Swales' lacky and came out against the fans on quite a few occasions?

How many other clubs have dragged the past up when collecting the Cup???? None that I can recall. Halford has been trading on the Neil Young / Mercer / Allison ticket.....

The highlighted bit is how i always look at it. Some of us still have very long memories.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.