Bernard Halford - a mystery!

bainy said:
Dont understand the random post by the OP.
i equally know alot of blues with long memories who havent a bad word to say about Bernard. we mentioned this going down to chelsea on monday.
Back in the day, the club made cock up after cock up - the whole club had a malignancy, this was not down to Beranrd.
ive had contact with him on 2 occassions in the past, he has been excellent on both occassions.
Although a loyal employee, i think its also quite unique to be employed for over 50 years by city - in fact i think its a miracle!!
I have no beef with him and dont understand the attack on him. Not Bernards fault he has been employed by city for so long or been given the hon president title.

well said Bainy.

Big Mal made a mess of city 2nd time around-such was his love of the club that folk were prepared to remember him at city 1st time around and ignore the cock ups..if we can do it for big mal then we should show bernard a bit of respect.
He is nice man.ive met him a couple of times,he is city through and through,so what if he can be perceived as working closely with Swales in our bad times--will Tony Book be banished from the club forever for the same crime?

Spending the majority of your working life at a club which was almost a joke for a good while can be looked upon in a number of ways...but I followed city during those times and see no reason to want to air brush important figures out of the clubs history....Book,Mal, Freddie Pye,Swales,Frank Horrocks,Bill Taylor,Bernard Halford...all names i associate with the old city,from maine road....bit sad for anyone to deny those that have survived that era " a place on the team bus"

I,d say halford deserves his place on the team bus after forty years of supporting city more than david platt after forty years of hating us.

i think bernard is a top man for his loyalty and service given to mcfc over the years, he does a lot of work behind the scenes for mcfc, long reign mr halford

ps who gives a toss who goes on the team coach

Seeing you are expecting it here is some flak. A secretary does not make policy. You are not in a position to know what "handsome" salary he earned. Calling him a lackey says more about the agenda of your post, than the "i have no personal blah blah blah" when quite clearly you have. 50 years service, through some of the most troubled times in the club's history (or most clubs for that matter ) including warring boardrooms, managerial disasters, financial crises, a hostile media and loose-cannon players, it was the back-room staff that held the club together.
To deny Halford's part in that,to portray him as the evil anti-fan is small-minded and malicious. There will be fans who will put the boot in, this is City after all; i cannot imagine many sharing your views.

I strongly suspect that Bernard Halford has held this club together on a number of occasions in the past when it could easily have all fallen apart. For that alone he's above criticism and deserves some respect and honour. He's given Manchester City many years of devoted service and is clearly held in great respect by his peers. There are people far more cloisely conected to the club than anyone on here who praise his contribution to moving the club forward over the years.

On a personal level he's hugely approachable and a thoroughly nice man. There are things I can't say on here so you'll have to take my word that Bernard is City to his core and loves the club above all else. That's why calling him a "Swales lackey" is both disrespectful and wrong. Bernard's loyalties have always been to City not to any individual.

dennishasdoneit said:
bainy said:
i equally know alot of blues with long memories who havent a bad word to say about Bernard. we mentioned this going down to chelsea on monday.
Back in the day, the club made cock up after cock up - the whole club had a malignancy, this was not down to Beranrd.
ive had contact with him on 2 occassions in the past, he has been excellent on both occassions.
Although a loyal employee, i think its also quite unique to be employed for over 50 years by city - in fact i think its a miracle!!
I have no beef with him and dont understand the attack on him. Not Bernards fault he has been employed by city for so long or been given the hon president title.

well said Bainy.

Big Mal made a mess of city 2nd time around-such was his love of the club that folk were prepared to remember him at city 1st time around and ignore the cock ups..if we can do it for big mal then we should show bernard a bit of respect.
He is nice man.ive met him a couple of times,he is city through and through,so what if he can be perceived as working closely with Swales in our bad times--will Tony Book be banished from the club forever for the same crime?

Spending the majority of your working life at a club which was almost a joke for a good while can be looked upon in a number of ways...but I followed city during those times and see no reason to want to air brush important figures out of the clubs history....Book,Mal, Freddie Pye,Swales,Frank Horrocks,Bill Taylor,Bernard Halford...all names i associate with the old city,from maine road....bit sad for anyone to deny those that have survived that era " a place on the team bus"

I,d say halford deserves his place on the team bus after forty years of supporting city more than david platt after forty years of hating us.
Bernard was Oldham through & through till he got a job with City

cyberblue said:
dennishasdoneit said:
bainy said:

well said Bainy.

Bernard was Oldham through & through till he got a job with City

Yup^^^ Ken Bates was the owner at Oldham and along with Swales, were all bosom chums.

I haven't got an issue with Bernard Halford. He seems a nice guy and I believe the club when they say he has been a loyal servant. There are not enough companies who respect and honour their employees for long and loyal service. However I think it should just be the players and manager parading the Cup at Wembley. Bernard should have been proudly applauding from the stands.

Quite a provocative thread. Agree with Bellbuzzer and PB. I also share the hope of the previous poster that Bernard does a real warts and all about the Swales era. Would love to know the truth, but as has been pointed out, very unlikely.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.