Bernardo Silva tweet controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't talk nonsense George. I haven't "attacked" Guardiola. I'm merely pointing out that he, and the club's PR team, have handled this badly. He isn't beyond reproach.
Pep has done absolutely nothing wrong in his defence of Bernardo. I think you should follow your own advice, a simple apology and then silence.

I'm still baffled by how many are clinging onto the comparing someone to something thing. It literally isn't about that. Comparing people to a cartoon character is not offensive. Comparing a black guy to a black cartoon character is not offensive.

However, comparing a black to an incredibly dated offensive stereotype of a cartoon character...well, that's the fucking problem. It's stupid and it understandably offends some. Not all of course, but understandably a fair few and that's more than enough for it to be a problem. The characterisation of the cartoon is the problem. Not him being compared to a cartoon ffs.

The conguitos 'little congolese' (it literally means that) stereotype with its obvious old fashioned racial features is not a good thing. Baffled by how many can't get this.

At the same time, this doesn't make Bernardo racist! No one is saying he is racist. Just that he's posted something that could be deemed that way, and was, by absolutely loads. All City had to do was admit that they didn't mean to cause offence, admit that they could see how it could have offended someone, apologised for that, and moved on. They haven't. Pep's doubled down, and it's fucking stupid.

Last edited:
Guardiola: "It was a simple joke but if someone is offended I can understand it. Bernardo is maybe going to take a lesson and it’s not going to happen again."

Move on.

Now, MOTD opened up with Lineker making bald jokes 2 weeks ago, the camera then panning over to Murphy , or was it Wright and then Shearer laughing.

https://patient.info/news-and-features/can-going-bald-cause-depression

Depression is very real, going and being bald can cause depression, let's stop making fun out of that too..... and gingers, they can't help being ginger, not fun making fun out of somebodys hair colour either.

I understand but my stance is the PC culture has gone too far,people are crushed by the weight of social media to say sorry for every little thing,if the players in the story are not offended i say do not be forced to say sorry,it might make your issue go away but it doesn't do society any favours

It's like all things Karen it starts from a good well meaning place but gets hijacked so almost everything is banned or causes offence. Manhole covers, banned, mankind, banned, calling someone he, she, mate, love, Mr, Mrs, all can cause outrage if said to the wrong person. The fight against racism has made great strides. I was on the terraces as a kid and heard monkey chants directed at black players now you will never hear that in England. You will get the odd idiot shout a racist remark but nothing en mass thankfully. That was years of education, people speaking out and making such behaviour an offence. Unfortunately in all causes and fights fanatics emerge and it's then a well meaning cause starts to veer off track. This is happening with the whole sexual identity and transgender debate and also racism. When stuff like the Bernardo incident is called racist and the sexuality debate has triggered wide eyed people ranting on tv it harms the very decent cause they are perpetuating to help. Social media has just magnified the issue as everyone has a voice instantly worldwide.

its time people stopped apologising when theres fuck all to apologise for,sky are loving it and keep mentioning a possible six match ban!
suddenly the outrage all makes sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.