Bernardo Silva tweet controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.
We should be exploiting the hacking scandal. Silvas dreadful crime is blown out of proportion by those with an agenda.
It's curious that the media keep publishing pictures that they and the rabid mouth frothing part of their readership find so offensive. Apart from the eternally ready to be offended likes of Oliver Holt and Darren Lewis, the rest are just in for pot stirring clicks.

I agree completely that this is an obsessive OTT witch hunt by the media that just wont let it go.

But, they wouldnt have any traction at all to keep it going for as long as they have, if b.silva had just apologised straight away and explained his somewhat overly innocent naivity. And if Pep hadnt initially doubled down on backing it. We'd all have been able to shrug it off as a silly thing to have put out in public, not intended to offend anyone just unknowingly misdudged, and that'd be it.

But without that, it gives lots to talk about, i.e how the club are handling it, what did he really mean, has he done such before, just how good friends Are they really, what do other black or white people think of it, or whatever else anyone decides to read into it and talk about (in the media).

Dismissing it does nobody any good. Why defend it? Who can honestly say with absolute confidence, that out of over a million people that tweet was put out to (im sorry, nobody can twist this as a private joke to mendy, twitter is very much a public platform), that every single person Has to see/accept it exactly the same way they do! That just doesn't happen.

I dont think it was in the slightest bit racist, i certainly dont think it even crossed b.silva's mind that it might be. But the image does certainly play on stereotypes that historically had been used to mock, and some may still carry that with them. There is no harm admitting he didn't realise that, and apologising to anyone that might have been offended, acknowledging that there isnt just one single way to think.
So he should apologise for having done absolutely nothing wrong and not being the slightest bit racist?
Keep apologising to this rabid self proclaimed social justice mob and the shit stirring excuse for a press in this country, and we'll always have this faux indignant rush to be offended. Time they were educated, not Bernardo, but people get shit scared of them and what they resort to labelling you in this country.

The point is it is not racist in portugal,how many people who claim to be offended know anything you have posted,you have expanded this right away from what happened

Sorry, I missed this as I was responding to quite a lot! I'm unsure if you've changed your mind since or not so I won't answer this as a direct response to you, but in general; Bernie is NOT in Portugal.

The fact that an individual Black friend, with whom he shares multiple jokes with is unoffended, is different than sharing the same joke to the wider audience.

Ask yourself if the majority of African Americans, with their history, would find it funny? Would the majority of native Africans find it funny? Do the majority of Black Britons find it funny?

The fact that there a number of White people on this board (and I sincerely hope it isn't a snap poll of the country) find this 'acceptable' is disturbing to me.

I said this earlier, but it conveniently got ignored:

" 'Perspective' is not comparing a good mate to a character grounded in racist depiction.

Assuming you have any friends that are Black (not a given), how many would laugh along with you should you compare them to a 'spear chucking' cartoon character, publicly?

You would have to be extremely jovial to laugh along or extremely unaware of the history of racial characters along the wider viewpoint.

Actually, how many cartoon characters (outside 'Capt Caveman' who was actually a 'superhero') do you know that has been depicted as savages...?

This'll be interesting..."

These are the connotations, so keep your shit private.

I agree completely that this is an obsessive OTT witch hunt by the media that just wont let it go.

But, they wouldnt have any traction at all to keep it going for as long as they have, if b.silva had just apologised straight away and explained his somewhat overly innocent naivity. And if Pep hadnt initially doubled down on backing it. We'd all have been able to shrug it off as a silly thing to have put out in public, not intended to offend anyone just unknowingly misdudged, and that'd be it.

But without that, it gives lots to talk about, i.e how the club are handling it, what did he really mean, has he done such before, just how good friends Are they really, what do other black or white people think of it, or whatever else anyone decides to read into it and talk about (in the media).

Dismissing it does nobody any good. Why defend it? Who can honestly say with absolute confidence, that out of over a million people that tweet was put out to (im sorry, nobody can twist this as a private joke to mendy, twitter is very much a public platform), that every single person Has to see/accept it exactly the same way they do! That just doesn't happen.

I dont think it was in the slightest bit racist[to Bernie?], i certainly dont think it even crossed b.silva's mind that it might be. But the image does certainly play on stereotypes that historically had been used to mock, and some may still carry that with them. There is no harm admitting he didn't realise that, and apologising to anyone that might have been offended, acknowledging that there isnt just one single way to think.

Not one disagreement until this point as I don't know if you're speaking on your behalf or Bernie's.

I'm not bothered on your POV personally, but I wanted to caveat my 'like' for your post.

Bernardo was probably offended that he could be considered to be a racist. I would be.

The media are very sensitive towards racism when it suits them, and at other times they exploit it to its full. The tabloids in particular never stop with the little England argument being besieged by immigrants and Islamophobia is everywhere. Some cheek for these newspapers to come to our press conference and ask questions of Manchester City after their record.

Look, I agree and Bernie has stepped unwittingly into a minefield of hypocrisy, but it was avoidable.

I mean, fookin' hell we had Balo come to us from a place steeped in racism and that was only a couple of years ago!!

Do we not, as a club, teach about cultural differences to native countries??

Apart from starting a sky onslaught Why was Sterling chosen to give his version of the game He had by his standards a "Stinker" going back to his early years of missing sitters and poor decision making not on his own but imho the most frustrating So if i with my limited knowledge of what goes on post match. can see a train wreck if Sky roll out Raz why could MCFC also not be aware of it Finally it goes to say depending on guests tommorow. i wont be watching Sunday supplement

Ollie Holt has a headline leading article on the interview John Barnes gave. Naturally, he thinks Barnes is wrong so I'd expect Sky to give him the platform to promote his views on Sunday Supplement.

So he should apologise for having done absolutely nothing wrong and not being the slightest bit racist?
Keep apologising to this rabid self proclaimed social justice mob and the shit stirring excuse for a press in this country, and we'll always have this faux indignant rush to be offended. Time they were educated, not Bernardo, but people get shit scared of them and what they resort to labelling you in this country.

Am I part of this 'mob' you talk about?

Do I need to be 'educated' as a person who is a by product of the vision publicly posted of a pot bellied, fat lipped caricature?

Am I allowed to be annoyed by it or not?

Go on, please tell me.

Sorry, I missed this as I was responding to quite a lot! I'm unsure if you've changed your mind since or not so I won't answer this as a direct response to you, but in general; Bernie is NOT in Portugal.

The fact that an individual Black friend, with whom he shares multiple jokes with is unoffended, is different than sharing the same joke to the wider audience.

Ask yourself if the majority of African Americans, with their history, would find it funny? Would the majority of native Africans find it funny? Do the majority of Black Britons find it funny?

The fact that there a number of White people on this board (and I sincerely hope it isn't a snap poll of the country) find this 'acceptable' is disturbing to me.

" 'Perspective' is not comparing a good mate to a character grounded in racist depiction.

Assuming you have any friends that are Black (not a given), how many would laugh along with you should you compare them to a 'spear chucking' cartoon character, publicly?

You would have to be extremely jovial to laugh along or extremely unaware of the history of racial characters along the wider viewpoint.

Actually, how many cartoon characters (outside 'Capt Caveman' who was actually a 'superhero') do you know that has been depicted as savages...?

Missing the point as usual. It's about the tweet and the intent that Silva should be judged by, not by your wish to see him villified for all the wrongs of history.
I really don't care what you find disturbing, as you seem to be using this to launch a debate, you rightly feel stongly about, but that doesn't apply here.

Missing the point as usual. It's about the tweet and the intent that Silva should be judged by, not by your wish to see him villified for all the wrongs of history.
I really don't care what you find disturbing, as you seem to be using this to launch a debate, you rightly feel stongly about, but that doesn't apply here.

Fookin' hell...

This is what happens when you come in at the halfway point of a debate...

Dr bruyne has been likened to tin tin and apparently tin tin is known as being a facist and a racist in his adventures but I've not seen one headline bringing it up.
Captain caveman was a caveman. Cavemen butchered people and beat their women with clubs.
Did you know this cartoon character Bernie likened to mendy represented slavery? Me neither.
Perhaps you or me or everyone on here should write to the manufactures of these sweets and tell them.
Or maybe they know and don't give a fuck! Maybe the Spanish are all racists or maybe their views of black people differ from everyone else.
Thank fuck Bernie isn't Italian as he'd be on the cross already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.