Bernardo Silva tweet controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.
To me, it isnt a black/white thing, it is the nature of the stereotype and what it implies, or might imply, to some people.

I don't see it as racist, because in my well intended naivity, i'd like to believe the world had moved on from outdated stereotypes. but i do see how someone might, because it IS an outdated stereotype that might still carry negative connotations to them, intended or not.

Lets take colour out of it. Say i posted a joke on here comparing our Edin to a warmonger. I love the guy, our former ledgend, i mean nothing bad by it, it is just my take on humour. Lets say for arguements' sake he has seen it and isnt offended.
Would it be beyond the realm of possibility that it might offend BosnianBlue (sorry to bring you into this, you seem thick skinned enough for the point im trying to make), who posts on here? it might not, but it could. it could offend others too. Would it be unthinkable that some here might pull me up on it for posting a tasteless and insensitive stereotype? it happens on far more trivial things, that is how crowd dynamics work in social media, and twitter is a bigger multiple of that.

Heck some here think that (purely visually, excluding any social meaning attached to race culture or whatever) mendy Does look like the drawing, and some can't see any resemblance whatsoever. Surely then, disagreeing on any possible intepretation of any meaning behind it is inevitable.

As i said, all i believe that needs to happen for it to lose momentum is an acknowledgement from bernardo or the club, that it shouldnt have been put out in public where anyone can take it the way they are inclined.
But surely it is the black white thing its not deemed racist for the BBC to liken one of our fans to Mr. Magoo which is exactly the same.

Keep your post count down; stop posting nonsense.

I'm offended. Well not really but a more sensitive soul might be.

I am happy to retire from this debate and leave you on your largely one man crusade with the debate going around in ever decreasing circles until as the last man standing it disappears up your own orifice!

Serious question had had it been Mendy posting a picture of young Bernado with a picture of the anthill mob would the reaction have been the same

Or if Bernardo was a Liverpool player would it still be on every programme on a Sky four days later.

But not every single action we take in life is designed to futher a political ideal. Bernardo was making a jokey remark, and all his critics know it, and yet they still pursue it, because there's a cheap headline to be had. It is completely cyncical.

So much of anti-racism is tokenism. The media organisations who are represented in the press conferences will all have equal opportunities policies and yet at the same time will be writing about the threat of immigration every single day of the week. That is what you should be commenting on, not the communication between two friends. It's not Bernardo's fault if other people see the tweet and are so stupid that they cannot figure out its context.

I've commentated on media articles about Raheem and the hypocrisy.

I don't care about the communication between pals as it's their thing.

It becomes an issue if you are famous, public and have enough fans to see it. I mean if those two had a public rape joke and found it funny, would it then be seen as 'banter' between mates? What would the difference be...?

There's a greater responsibility to be had.

I don't disagree that anyone can have an opinion, that's never been my position.

But, people are proposing another race's opinion when the said race haven't done so to me.

This hypothetical position is beyond thick as we're discussing factual events.
You've completely lost me now, to the point where I'm not sure we're even talking about the same thing.

Earlier in the thread you said this:
The fact that there a number of White people on this board (and I sincerely hope it isn't a snap poll of the country) find this 'acceptable' is disturbing to me.

There have been black people on this board who saw nothing wrong with the tweet. That isn't hypothetical. It's factual.

I'm simply asking if you find their opinion as disturbing as a white person holding the same view?

wonder how long victor anichibe was planned for after match punditry , strange they chose a black evertonian to comment on the situation

its not the person black or white, its the planned attack that was setup by skysports and the questions was not just off the cuff they was plans and knowing your target, sadly the everton lad victor anichibe was easy bate and knew what his answers was going to be and hand picked just for that

What a joke how this has escalated, Everyman and his dog getting involved. Yet everyone says oh he’s not racist, then if he isnt racist why is this going any further.How can you say on one hand he’s not racist then label him one on the other. I’m sure Berny is upset enough with how this has planned out and will have learned from it. Just a bloody witch hunt, if it was a Liverpool player u bet ur bottom dollar it would not get this Much press.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.