Bernardo Silva tweet controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m genuinely confused and don’t know what to think.

First off I don’t think Bernardo is a racist.

Secondly I think if it’s just between friends then don’t put it on Twitter where everyone can comment.

I think it probably is a different set of rules for black and white people so you can’t compare. That sounds wrong but I think given history it’s probably right.

Just because Mendy takes it as a joke doesn’t necessarily mean it’s ok. I felt a little weird about the picture and the video without really fully understanding why and I still don’t.

Bottom line for me is social media is a nightmare which encourages the worst in everyone and kids, who have never known anything else, grow up thinking this World is normal. Get off the lot I say (not BM though haha)

You seem one of the more genuine ones arguing here, so I'm going to respond to this as to why I care and then I'm done. It's not about offence, it's about recognising that stereotypes cause harm. European colonialism was built on the idea that white people are superior, and that needed loads of supporting images in film, stage and other media. While we thankfully don't chain black people up anymore and force them to work for free, a lot of those stereotypes and images have survived and continue to impact on how black people are seen, by the police, by the courts etc. Where possible, we should avoid reposting them because collectively they do cause damage. If we are in positions of power, as footballers are, they have in even bigger responsibility, I'd say. I'm not offended, I just think thoughtful, non-racist people should avoid making the world a worst place.

Thanks for response and I am not on this thread just to stir the pot.

I understand how the black community were perceived and treated all those years ago and would never condone to going back to those days. However, in the late 60s and 70s it was commonplace for black and whites to be exchanging "banter" and having a good old laugh about it. In the following decades, that banter has now become offensive to some - why is that, because I don't know

This is where i have a problem,black people have reclaimed the word,they use it all the time so why is there a problem using it,racisim is about the intent you use words not necessarily the word itself,i have reclaimed the word ****,it no longer offends me,unless someone screams fuck off you **** in my face i don't consider it an offensive word

Lets change this pc rubbish,it has swung too far the other way
I would like this twice if I could

This is where i have a problem,black people have reclaimed the word,they use it all the time so why is there a problem using it,racisim is about the intent you use words not necessarily the word itself,i have reclaimed the word ****,it no longer offends me,unless someone screams fuck off you **** in my face i don't consider it an offensive word

Lets change this pc rubbish,it has swung too far the other way

the N word shouldn't be tolerated no matter what your race. I read an interview with Kanye a few years ago and he said its been reclaimed because it was used as a stick to beat black people with, now its wielded how they want, good or bad. it doesn't excuse nothing

Some peoples heads would explode if they were in the forces,if you are a ginge you get called a ginge as prince harry found out,if you are black you get called something related to that as you do if you are white or whatever your nationality is etc,if the people involved are happy then there is no problem

Thanks for response and I am not on this thread just to stir the pot.

I understand how the black community were perceived and treated all those years ago and would never condone to going back to those days. However, in the late 60s and 70s it was commonplace for black and whites to be exchanging "banter" and having a good old laugh about it. In the following decades, that banter has now become offensive to some - why is that, because I don't know

I honestly think you're romanticising what it was like for many non-white people back then. My mate is in his 40s and grew up being called a "paki" by national front types and was forced to eat dog shit because they said that was the colour of his skin. People faced routine discrimination is housing, work, education and just about everything else. This is, I'm afraid, historical fact. That's before you even get to the civil rights movement of America or apartheid in South America, legacies of Europe's colonial history. Non-white people still face lots of discrimination, supported by racist images in the media. This was Sterling's point. Up until very recently the character Silva posted had a spear, ffs.

Some peoples heads would explode if they were in the forces,if you are a ginge you get called a ginge as prince harry found out,if you are black you get called something related to that as you do if you are white or whatever your nationality is etc,if the people involved are happy then there is no problem
what do white people get called in the forces just out of interest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.