Bert Trautmann - R.I.P

We rightly remember Bert Trautmann for his agility, bravery and contribution to Anglo-German relations.But, long before George Best grabbed headlines, Bert might have had a pop image. After the Wembley win, the Lord Mayor welcomed City home for a civic parade but his speech was being drowned out by girls screaming '' We want Bert !' .They only stopped when Bert himself asked for hush.He was too dignified a man to cultivate the image in his remaining career.

RIP Bert, god bless, a club legend. The old man's favourite player (along with Bobby Johnstone) when he was a boy. The recent biography is essential reading for any blue.

Deserves a stand naming after him imho

BluessinceHydeRoad said:
This is desperately sad and bad news. Bert was the first idol I ever worshipped as a lad and will always be my greatest sporting hero. As a lad we all played football endlessly on the local park, and the summer of 1956 is the only time I can remember when everyone wanted to be in goal to relive those epic moments when Bert rose, semi-conscious and and in agony, and refused to leave the pitch, preferring to throw himself fearlessly in the way of successive waves of Birmingham attacks to bring the cup to Manchester. When my family stood in the masses at Piccadilly to watch the team bring the cup home he was still in unimaginable pain, and escaped death that day by a whisker. But that was Bert, loyal and faithful whatever the circumstances. And it was Bert, German, paratrooper Bert showing what real Germans could be like rather than the ludicrous parodies put forward in Britain just after the war. And Bert was always far more than a footballer - he was a role model and the personification of reconciliation. And this was something he worked for tirelessly for well over 60 years, and we are all proud of our association and our City's association with a truly great man. It is, therefore, ironic that he succombed to a heart attack - because if there was one thing that would never have failed him or anyone else was his heart. Rest in peace, Bert, you'll always be with us in Manchester.

Spot On

Did the stadium tour yesterday, and there's a fair bit about Bert included in the history sections, and photos.

Hits home as to how much Bert is, and always will be remembered by everyone at City.

RIP Bert Trautmann.

City fans wax lyrical over Lee, Bell and Summerbee (and rightly so).

Fans of the 70's remember Marsh, Hartford, Tueart etc (again right).

But Bert's overall story makes him a far bigger footballing legend in my opinion. A story that should make the big screen one day. Nobody pulled together so many divided community's as the big fella.

I seem to remember that Warren Clarke, wrote, some years ago, a screenplay of Bert's life but it was shelved before filming began. Warren intended to portray Bert in the film. Perhaps now is the time to bring the screenplay up to date, with Warren and a younger actor sharing the role. City could fund the film, it would be a fitting and everlasting tribute to a great man.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.