Bert Trautmann

watched Bert from 1950 onwards.my favourite sportsman ever.idolized him.when i was a kid my dad asked me which team were known as the potters.stoke? i said .nope city.how come .?weve got ten mugs and a jerry.

If you've not already done so, Trautmann's Journey is a fascinating read.

As well as being a City legend, according the club site he was also the first person in the UK to wear adidas by virtue of his friendship with Adi Dassler. Bert Trautmann: a brilliant keeper, as hard as nails, a reconciler of people and to top it off the original casual!
I"d commend his autobiography Steppes to Wembley (2nd hand copy available here https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/...ppes+to+wembley&cm_sp=snippet-_-srp1-_-image2) - we've got a signed copy he gave to my Dad when Bert was in hospital & its a good read

My dad is one of the many City supporters who as a young lad would stand behind Bert's goal in complete awe of him, hoping to get his attention. Growing up he told me about his unique life, what a special player he was and obviously the story of the 56 cup final, but even never having seen him play, I felt like I knew what he meant to City. Different breed of player back then but Bert Trautmann took it to another level!

A great man and someone who makes me proud to be a blue.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.