Bert Trautmann

Still waiting for the North or South stand to be named after him. I suspect it will be a long wait.
One could be Bert Trautman stand the other Frank Swift stand.
Also Villa fans have had some stick on here in recent years, but I remember them giving Bert a standing ovation when he was driven round Maine Rd prior to a game against them.

I said the same about a decade back and said “we should do it before he dies”, but it didn’t happen.
And it wont, because while Bert's memory means a lot to folk of a certain age the people the owners are marketing the club to now don't see a world-wide appeal of a story from the 1950s. They're not bringing back the Maine Road floodlights or the City chippy, either.

I always stood right behind the goal at the scoreboard just to watch Bert. One occasion I was convinced that the master keeper had waved at me and could not wait to get home to tell my Ma, as a seven or eight year old I was on cloud nine. It was a question Ma always asked me after I got home did Bert wave at you? it was a question that had to answer till I left home.

He was sent off against West Ham once. Having conceding a goal ,he angrily booted the ball upfield and it hit the ref on the back of his and floored him. The ref thought it was deliberate and sent him off.
It was deliberate and Bert was on his way without the ref's intervention. Alan Oakes took over for the rest of the match.

I never saw him play but I grew up on stories of him and Big Swifty, my grandad was a keeper back in the 1920s and he loved them both, Bert though was special and my grandads antipathy to Germans having lived through 2 world wars was softened enormously because of Bert,

If any player in our history deserves a statue its Bert, of you haven't read his autobiography you will see why. An Iron Cross and an OBE is unique and he did so much to normalise relations between our nations he should have a statue for that alone.

Other clubs have footballing legends, we have a legendary man.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.