Best band you've seen live?

Prince, Thin Lizzy, Rush, Floyd, The Who, Tears for Fears, Steely Dan, loads of brilliant gigs but the one that really stood out for me was Larry Carlton at Band on the wall.

So many….. here’s a few

RUSH - Birmingham Odeon - June 1980 - 1st of many Rush gigs
Bruce Springsteen - Stafford Bingley Hall - 1981, The River tour.
U2 - Birmingham Odeon - 1983
Robert Plant - Birmingham Odeon - 1983, xmas eve
Marillion - Birmingham Odeon - 1983, New years eve, eve
Queen - Birmingham NEC - 1984, with Freddie - The Works
Tina Turner - Birmingham Odeon - two shows on the same day, matinee and evening
Tina Turner/Bryan Adams (as support) - Birmingham NEC, David Bowie on stage as guest for two songs, and Adams duet with Tina.
Eric Clapton - Birmingham NEC - 1986, Phil Collins on drums
Marillion - Junction 10 club, Walsall - 1990 - 1st gig with new singer, only 50 people watching
Genesis - Wolverhampton Civic Hall - 1992, Tiny venue after an arena tour.
The Tragically Hip - Shepherds Bush Empire London - 1997
John Hiatt - Wulfrun Hall Wolverhampton - 1997
Barenaked Ladies - Manchester Apollo - 1999
The Cranberries/Collective Soul - Molson Amphitheatre Toronto - 1999
Paul McCartney - Cavern Liverpool - 1999, with David Gilmore on guitar, 300 tickets
Beth Nielsen Chapman - Midland Arts Centre, Birmingham - 2004, outdoor for 50 people
Colin Hay - The Hat Factory Luton - 2009
RUSH - Air Canada Centre, Toronto - 2015 - Final tour in home city

I have seen hundreds of live acts including true all-time legends such as Page & Plant and The Who, as well as contemporary artists like Radiohead and Morrissey (both many times) plus many of the best songwriters such as Brian Wilson and audio-visual artists such as Bjork at her peak.

But there is one act which has been proven to consistently stand head and shoulders above everyone else over several decades...

1000004104.jpg

So many….. here’s a few

RUSH - Birmingham Odeon - June 1980 - 1st of many Rush gigs
Bruce Springsteen - Stafford Bingley Hall - 1981, The River tour.
U2 - Birmingham Odeon - 1983
Robert Plant - Birmingham Odeon - 1983, xmas eve
Marillion - Birmingham Odeon - 1983, New years eve, eve
Queen - Birmingham NEC - 1984, with Freddie - The Works
Tina Turner - Birmingham Odeon - two shows on the same day, matinee and evening
Tina Turner/Bryan Adams (as support) - Birmingham NEC, David Bowie on stage as guest for two songs, and Adams duet with Tina.
Eric Clapton - Birmingham NEC - 1986, Phil Collins on drums
Marillion - Junction 10 club, Walsall - 1990 - 1st gig with new singer, only 50 people watching
Genesis - Wolverhampton Civic Hall - 1992, Tiny venue after an arena tour.
The Tragically Hip - Shepherds Bush Empire London - 1997
John Hiatt - Wulfrun Hall Wolverhampton - 1997
Barenaked Ladies - Manchester Apollo - 1999
The Cranberries/Collective Soul - Molson Amphitheatre Toronto - 1999
Paul McCartney - Cavern Liverpool - 1999, with David Gilmore on guitar, 300 tickets
Beth Nielsen Chapman - Midland Arts Centre, Birmingham - 2004, outdoor for 50 people
I have seen a lot of bands over the years and I have really struggled to come up with choosing a best gig (and there have been many) but, I keep coming back to the Tragically Hip.
I must have seen them a doz times and they have never disappointed.
Up until their final tour (I saw them at the air Canada centre) I had always taken pride in the fact that I had never seen them indoors.
Markham fairgrounds, Cayuga speedway and Mosport speedway are stand outs.
R.I.P Gordie baby.

Can attest to the fact that that Bassline is hard to play whilst singing the song, we used to do it and took me ages to learn how to do it :)

I have seen hundreds of live acts including true all-time legends such as Page & Plant and The Who, as well as contemporary artists like Radiohead and Morrissey (both many times) plus many of the best songwriters such as Brian Wilson and audio-visual artists such as Bjork at her peak.

But there is one act which has been proven to consistently stand head and shoulders above everyone else over several decades...

View attachment 112371
That is a good shout

It won't come as any surprise to anyone...... but here are my 3 favourite gigs of all time

1. The Smiths - Salford University 1986
2. Siouxsie & The Banshees - Royal Albert Hall 1983 (first of the 2 nights that were recorded for the Nocturne live album / video)
3. The Stone Roses - Blackpool 1989

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.