Best Club in the 80's

The Cyprus tavern, it kicked off quite a lot, mainly between city and United. Had some top nights in there and also some lairy ones. I was going home and away every week in those days and always ended up in there with other city lads. A few times the hatch where you bought burger and chips got rapidly shut as glass started flying everywhere! It wasn't always like that though, and the Madchester music was top. I had the odd result in there too and woke up in some places in Manchester that I didn't know existed! Fun times...

Never went, but the Gallery on the corner of Peter Street / Deansgate (REM's first Manchester gig was there)

Great little place ...saw many bands there from mentioned REM (still have the video tape of it me and mate recorded), Hanoi Rocks, The Church, Long Ryders, The Freshies ...

Did the Ritz have a bouncy dance floor or was it just me drinking too much.

Yeah, until it's recent refurb, it had a sprung floor for ballroom dancing. (My old man taught it there in the 50's)

Our clubs were The Phoenix, Jillys, Swinging Sporran, Henry's/Banshee, Cyprus, Conti, Jilly's Rockworld (after the original near the Waldorf closed) and UMIST/Poly ...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.