Best Ever Punk/New Wave Song?

Do Greenday qualify as punk or new wave?

Personally I think so :D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqZOYgUolC4[/youtube]

pauldominic said:
mackenzie said:
The term 'New Wave' has to be understood within the context of the time.
The Jam weren't punk but they were definitely 'New Wave.'

Pure pure technicality.

The difference between "the majority" of punk, new wave, mod" music was a look not a sound. The Jam were undoubtedly a "mod" looking band ffs "All the mod cons" tells us their influences. But, if there is a song that screams of the sound of "punk" more than "tube station" I'm yet to hear it.

kenster197 said:
pauldominic said:
mackenzie said:

Pure pure technicality.

The difference between "the majority" of punk, new wave, mod" music was a look not a sound. The Jam were undoubtedly a "mod" looking band ffs "All the mod cons" tells us their influences. But, if there is a song that screams of the sound of "punk" more than "tube station" I'm yet to hear it.

All mod cons - Con All Mods ...........Old chestnut I know. Fucking brilliant band whatever. Maybe we should top trying to put people in boxes and just like what we like..........that's never gonna catch on though, is it ?

kenster197 said:
pauldominic said:
mackenzie said:

Pure pure technicality.

Nah, that wasn't 'punk.'

Not in my book anyway.

The Jam were far too sophisticated to be punk.

mackenzie said:
kenster197 said:
pauldominic said:
Pure pure technicality.

Nah, that wasn't 'punk.'

Not in my book anyway.

We can agree to disagree there then.

mackenzie said:
kenster197 said:
pauldominic said:
Pure pure technicality.

Nah, that wasn't 'punk.'

Not in my book anyway.

I wasn't around when mods were fighting rockers.

Anyway here's another good green day introduced by 2 children :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mtp9gNx7nV0[/youtube]

mackenzie said:
kenster197 said:
pauldominic said:
Pure pure technicality.

Nah, that wasn't 'punk.'

Not in my book anyway.

Although "In The City" was pure punk.

kenster197 said:
mackenzie said:
kenster197 said:

Nah, that wasn't 'punk.'

Not in my book anyway.

We can agree to disagree there then.

I do know what you are referring to though. The Jam were labelled as a punk band when they first started and the anger of Weller in much of their early stuff sat with that. However, they quickly became something different with a sound of their own that was in a different league to the punk bands.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.