Best Ever Punk/New Wave Song?

Banned Tosspot said:
MCFC BOB said:
Banned Tosspot said:
I think he's been better and released a couple of great albums in Wild Wood and Stanley Road.

Never really considered The Jam as a punk band as they are clearly mods and have borrowed heavily off Small Faces.
I'd have The Jam down as new wave. This is punk to me:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJBbvIbrTJ8[/youtube]
Bob, you're always willing to learn. Try having a look at some Small Faces ;)
Sure. I like what little I know of them.

MCFC BOB said:
Banned Tosspot said:
MCFC BOB said:
I'd have The Jam down as new wave. This is punk to me:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJBbvIbrTJ8[/youtube]
Bob, you're always willing to learn. Try having a look at some Small Faces ;)
Sure. I like what little I know of them.
Great little band, literally too.

Also have a look at MC5.

strongbowholic said:
mackenzie said:
kenster197 said:
The difference between "the majority" of punk, new wave, mod" music was a look not a sound. The Jam were undoubtedly a "mod" looking band ffs "All the mod cons" tells us their influences. But, if there is a song that screams of the sound of "punk" more than "tube station" I'm yet to hear it.

Nah, that wasn't 'punk.'

Not in my book anyway.

The Jam were far too sophisticated to be punk.

Although "In The City" was pure punk.

Maybe, but they changed very quickly. I think The Jam weren't ever a punk band in the truest sense because they never really had that anarchic feel to them. They knew where they were going (or at least Weller and his Dad did) and they just kept it up. The Jam were far too 'controlled' and focused to be a real punk band.

That's why they survived.

kenster197 said:
pauldominic said:
mackenzie said:
The term 'New Wave' has to be understood within the context of the time.
The Jam weren't punk but they were definitely 'New Wave.'

Pure pure technicality.

The difference between "the majority" of punk, new wave, mod" music was a look not a sound. The Jam were undoubtedly a "mod" looking band ffs "All the mod cons" tells us their influences. But, if there is a song that screams of the sound of "punk" more than "tube station" I'm yet to hear it.

We had a cover and sleeve for a vinyl record in those days. Who cares what they looked like?

mackenzie said:
strongbowholic said:
mackenzie said:
Nah, that wasn't 'punk.'

Not in my book anyway.

The Jam were far too sophisticated to be punk.

Maybe, but they changed very quickly. I think The Jam weren't ever a punk band in the truest sense because they never really had that anarchic feel to them. They knew where they were going (or at least Weller and his Dad did) and they just kept it up. The Jam were far too 'controlled' and focused to be a real punk band.

Punk wasn't about being "anarchic" though the media may have portrayed that. Punk was about having a voice. It may have been far from the normal voice at times but at other times that voice could be as melodic and poetic as the mainstream. It was about what you wanted to say and how you said it, the Jam, like it or not sang / played punk music. "in the city" sung by ANY recognised punk band would to this day be a punk classic.

kenster197 said:
mackenzie said:
strongbowholic said:

Punk wasn't about being "anarchic" though the media may have portrayed that. Punk was about having a voice. It may have been far from the normal voice at times but at other times that voice could be as melodic and poetic as the mainstream. It was about what you wanted to say and how you said it, the Jam, like it or not sang / played punk music. "in the city" sung by ANY recognised punk band would to this day be a punk classic.
rotten2.jpg

John Lydon might disagree with kenster

kenster197 said:
mackenzie said:
strongbowholic said:

Punk WAS about having a voice and saying what you want; I agree with that.
However, I think it's becomes more layered when you start to analyse.
All I know is that The Jam were never considered as true punk by me and my peers at that time.
Punk was also about a certain attitude, dress sense and demeanour and The Jam never bought into that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.