Best goal scoring defenders

Tommy Booth by a mile. He scored 36 goals for City - 25 League, 5 FA Cup, 3 League Cup and 3 European games.
And of course he got the vital late winner v Everton in the 1969 semi, and got up to nod the ball down for Dennis's overhead kick in the LC Final v Newcastle.
An underrated star, in my opinion.
That's a great post

Roberto Carlos was a novelty for me growing up to the point where I even played as a left back and took right footed free kicks. Played more like dunne at left back though tbh haha

Tommy Booth by a mile. He scored 36 goals for City - 25 League, 5 FA Cup, 3 League Cup and 3 European games.
And of course he got the vital late winner v Everton in the 1969 semi, and got up to nod the ball down for Dennis's overhead kick in the LC Final v Newcastle.

The one I remember most was at Peterborough in the FA Cup, as I had started going to away games then. Packed in like sardines in the away section behind the goal that day!!

Ironically enough - Stuart Pearce throughout his career, although not necessarily with us. A characteristic he continued with in management.

If we’re not limiting this to City players. Emlyn Hughes. 49 goals in all competitions for Liverpool. Some important ones, too. Had a wicked shot from outside the box.

If you’re talking non City, I’d be surprised if any defender has ever beaten Steve Bruce’s 19 in a season in ‘90-‘91.

Can think of quite a few strikers who haven’t beaten it in fact.

If you’re talking non City, I’d be surprised if any defender has ever beaten Steve Bruce’s 19 in a season in ‘90-‘91.

Can think of quite a few strikers who haven’t beaten it in fact.

That's an astonishing stat for a single season, which I confess I was unaware of. I see that he scored a very handy twenty-nine for the Gills during his time there (in about two hundred appearances). Eighty-one over his whole career. Not bad for a central defender!
Going back to Hughes. He died of a brain tumour at the age of fifty-seven, something which I was also unaware of. Moore of course died at fifty-one, as everyone knows. And our very own Nelly Young died at sixty-six. These people are sort of the gods of the stadium when you're a kid. You just don't think of them as being subject to destruction. It's deeply shocking.
Being now well beyond the age of all of those, I just regard every single day I wake up alive and in relatively good health as riches beyond compare.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.