Best goalkeeper of all time?

city bairn said:
Lev Yashin.

I was brought up to believe this to be the case but only ever had grainy black and white footage to go on.

On a side note re Bert Trautman, undoubted hero that he was, was he better than Frank Swift or Big Joe?

Pat jennings for me to a great keeper.
We have had a few good uns ie.trautman,big joe,schmeichel and tony coton who had a ropey start but turned out to be a top keeper for us and i think joe hart has the potential to be great.

oakiecokie said:
For me the one and only Pat Jennings for Spuds.
Superb goalie and a very shy person,when appearing on TV etc.
Hands like bleedin` shovels !!

Very nice bloke as well. Met him in my youth when he was at the Arse and i had a trial there. Top guy.

1. Banks
2. Yashin
3. Shilton
4. Jennings
5. Schmeichel - Peter of course, not that tw*t of a son of his!

Of course this is in my lifetime!

Honorable mentions also go to;

Frank Swift
Bert Trautman
Big Joe
Southall (shame he chose Wales!)
Clemence
Coton

And to Nicky Weaver of course - for that play-off final and that run if nothing else :-) !!

from my early days it has to be be Jennings/Clemence/Shilton/Zoff/Southall (in no particular order) modern times Schmeicael/Casillas/Buffon/Seaman/

Never saw Frank Swift other than a couple of seconds snips on old newsreel, so . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

“There have only been two world-class goalkeepers. One was Lev Yashin, the other was the German boy who played for Manchester (Bert) Trautmann.”

I'm not havin' any jibes about being parochial but I'd say the German boy!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.