Best new car deals for young drivers

journolud

My 18 year old son has just been offered an apprenticeship which will mean him travelling daily from Macclesfield to Buxton (or Leek for college). Short term he can use his mum's car, longer term he will need to get his own.

I've seen what look like good deals through marmalade for brand new cars for young drivers with a years insurance thrown in, well I say they look good deals but really I've no idea. Are they? Or would he be better going straight to a main dealer. Or getting nearly new. As he is living at home his outgoings will be limited, I'd rather he was driving a safe reliable car than something that won't last the winter. Any tips for young drivers?

Don't know anything about Marmalade, etc. My daughter's been driving 2 years now aged 20 and found that insurance on a diesel was almost half the price of insuring a petrol car. She was looking at a 1.0 petrol fiesta and ended up better on the insurance with a 1.7 diesel astra gtc. It's still not cheap but worth looking at.

My 18 year old son has just been offered an apprenticeship which will mean him travelling daily from Macclesfield to Buxton (or Leek for college). Short term he can use his mum's car, longer term he will need to get his own.

I've seen what look like good deals through marmalade for brand new cars for young drivers with a years insurance thrown in, well I say they look good deals but really I've no idea. Are they? Or would he be better going straight to a main dealer. Or getting nearly new. As he is living at home his outgoings will be limited, I'd rather he was driving a safe reliable car than something that won't last the winter. Any tips for young drivers?

Safe and reliable! If the car doesn't make it through winter it will be because he wraps it around a tree.

I'd get him a 5~6 year old Fiesta or similar. Smallest engine. Pay no more than £3k and expect to pay half that again or more to insure it every year. Get the tracking software fitted and tell him he has to drive like an old gran - and if he hasn't wrecked it in a couple of years then get him something that you would be sad to see smashed up.

I'd just buy an old banger for less than £1k. Get the lowest level of insurance possible (3rd party, fire & theft?) and accept it will only last a few months/years. Even if you had to buy another one in 6 months you'd be better off than leasing a £200 per month car after having to pay 3 months upfront/higher insurance etc.

Safe and reliable! If the car doesn't make it through winter it will be because he wraps it around a tree.

I'd get him a 5~6 year old Fiesta or similar. Smallest engine. Pay no more than £3k and expect to pay half that again or more to insure it every year. Get the tracking software fitted and tell him he has to drive like an old gran - and if he hasn't wrecked it in a couple of years then get him something that you would be sad to see smashed up.

this is good advice, also, when my daughter was looking for her first car, the insurance thrown in deals she looked at weren't available under the age of 21

I'd just buy an old banger for less than £1k. Get the lowest level of insurance possible (3rd party, fire & theft?) and accept it will only last a few months/years. Even if you had to buy another one in 6 months you'd be better off than leasing a £200 per month car after having to pay 3 months upfront/higher insurance etc.
You’d buy him an old banger for a daily journey from Buxton to Leek ?
I’d be getting a snowmobile

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.