Best new car deals for young drivers

I would think hard about a tracking device type insurance. My youngest started working shifts and they cancelled his insurance because he was regularly driving after 10pm when he finished lates. Try getting insurance if you have had a policy cancelled :-((

My 18 year old son has just been offered an apprenticeship which will mean him travelling daily from Macclesfield to Buxton (or Leek for college). Short term he can use his mum's car, longer term he will need to get his own.

I've seen what look like good deals through marmalade for brand new cars for young drivers with a years insurance thrown in, well I say they look good deals but really I've no idea. Are they? Or would he be better going straight to a main dealer. Or getting nearly new. As he is living at home his outgoings will be limited, I'd rather he was driving a safe reliable car than something that won't last the winter. Any tips for young drivers?

Age matters .... If he's not far off 19 sort him a short period policy to get him to that point (3,6 months or 9) .... also get quotes with his mum included (if she has a good record)

My 18 year old son has just been offered an apprenticeship which will mean him travelling daily from Macclesfield to Buxton (or Leek for college). Short term he can use his mum's car, longer term he will need to get his own.

I've seen what look like good deals through marmalade for brand new cars for young drivers with a years insurance thrown in, well I say they look good deals but really I've no idea. Are they? Or would he be better going straight to a main dealer. Or getting nearly new. As he is living at home his outgoings will be limited, I'd rather he was driving a safe reliable car than something that won't last the winter. Any tips for young drivers?

When he gets his own insurance definitely get a black box fitted, that will reduce the price quite a bit and also put yourself and your wife on the insurance even if you’re not going to drive it as that will also reduce it. My son bought a nearly new VW Golf 1.6 Diesel at Age 21 and it was £800 instead of £1200. A couple of years later he still has the black box and is down to a more reasonable £450.

I'd just buy an old banger for less than £1k. Get the lowest level of insurance possible (3rd party, fire & theft?) and accept it will only last a few months/years. Even if you had to buy another one in 6 months you'd be better off than leasing a £200 per month car after having to pay 3 months upfront/higher insurance etc.
That's what I did. I bought a Nissan Primera for £1k about 12 years ago (smallest engine size in a big car, so didn't go very fast) and it lasted 4 years before I sold it for £650. In that time I probably spent about £400 on it, and that included new tyres and a new battery. It was still in perfect working order when I sold it. The third party, fire and theft insurance was £850, but I know insurance has gone up massively since then.

You’d buy him an old banger for a daily journey from Buxton to Leek ?
I’d be getting a snowmobile

For the two days of snow we'll have! Three if its really bad

I would think hard about a tracking device type insurance. My youngest started working shifts and they cancelled his insurance because he was regularly driving after 10pm when he finished lates. Try getting insurance if you have had a policy cancelled :-((

Did he/you not realise this would happen?

Trackers are brilliant for reducing the cost of insurance
My youngest had one for her first year, £1400 on an old fiesta
Second year, no tracker £750
Third year, better car £450

For the two days of snow we'll have! Three if its really bad

Did he/you not realise this would happen?

Trackers are brilliant for reducing the cost of insurance
My youngest had one for her first year, £1400 on an old fiesta
Second year, no tracker £750
Third year, better car £450
No, he only started working shifts half way through his insurance year, I guess the rule about driving after 10pm was in the small print somewhere. The issue about changing the insurer half way through an insurance year is that they do not give you a years no claims until the full year is completed. Also I paid in full for the insurance, the amount I would have got back was a joke should I have cancelled the insurance.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.