Best performance by a visiting team

Dortmund is the stand out. They were on another level. Joe Hart kept the score down.

Off on a slight tangent here, but the best team I saw at Maine Road was the Harlem Globetrotters. My dad took me, must be early to mid-50's during their European tour. Meadowlark Lemon, Goose Tatum et al, versus their regular stooge opponents The Washington Generals. Witnessing the dribbling, passing and comic routine was such a wonderful experience.
I was stood against the old white wall and, 60-plus years later, I can still recall this giant black fella' scoring, then kept on running towards me and giving me an enormous grin.

Another vote for Dormund. Thought of that game immediately and pleased somehow thats lots of people agree.

In all football Ive ever watched Joe Hart has the two best goalkeeping performances. That night and against Barcelona away 2015.
He was amazing on his debut away at spurs also, got to be his best 3 city performances

He was amazing on his debut away at spurs also, got to be his best 3 city performances

His debut was 4 years' earlier - almost nothing to do that game but has one nervous moment dropping a routine catch 6 yards out but mills or thatcher mopped up the goal bound fumble.

His debut was 4 years' earlier - almost nothing to do that game but has one nervous moment dropping a routine catch 6 yards out but mills or thatcher mopped up the goal bound fumble.
I honestly thought the 0-0 away at spurs was his debut!! Old age has def kicked in :)

Last edited:
As others have said as a team Dortmund.

Maybe another thread but as a player Berbertov think it was a cup game when he was with Spurs, they had a red card and took off Defoe...he kept our entire back 4 busy on his own.

I remember individual performances more than team ones against us
Quick ones that come to mind where I thought “ he’s some player “
Sol Campbell, Spurs
Nasri, Arsenal
Barry, Villa
Carrick & Jesus, Spurs
Berbatov, Spurs
Ugo Ehiogu, Villa
Schweinstieger, Munich
Bernardo, Monaco
Dean Ashton, West Ham

That’ll do for now :)

I remember individual performances more than team ones against us
Quick ones that come to mind where I thought “ he’s some player “
Sol Campbell, Spurs
Nasri, Arsenal
Barry, Villa
Carrick & Jesus, Spurs
Berbatov, Spurs
Ugo Ehiogu, Villa
Schweinstieger, Munich
Bernardo, Monaco
Dean Ashton, West Ham

That’ll do for now :)
The monaco one always sticks in my mind,all the hype was about mbappe & he was very good on the night, but i’d hardly heard of b.silva at that time & he ran the show for me what a performance

West Ham (on Saturday 21 March 1970) beat a very good City team 5-1 at Maine Road. The City team had won the League Championship, the FA Cup and the League Cup in less than two years and were on their way to winning the European Cup Winners Cup. However, they were ripped apart by an excellent West Ham side including Jimmy Greaves on his debut.
West Ham played well enough but they definitely had a couple of things going for them - the Wednesday previous we'd gone to extra time on a typical Maine Rd mud heap to beat Academica in the Cup Winners Cup QF, also Bell and Summerbee were missing for the West Ham match, we looked knackered.

My vote would go to that Arsenal team that beat us 5-1 at home, they completely shredded us in the first half hour.

I'll give you one of the best performances from a visiting player - Berbatov ripped us a new arsehole while playing for spuds in (I think) a cup game several years back. I remember they wore yellow and I remember the **** was magnificent that night.
It was a quarter final and we all smelt Wembley....Berbatov had other ideas.almost single handedly dismantled us..One of the best individual performances ive ever seen from any player.it was a crushing blow at the time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.