Best/Worst performances of the decade

Wigan cup final has to be the worst team performance. We never turned up on the day. Which was shameful, given the occasion. The CL semi final was another in a similar vein. We more or less put up the white flag in the second leg.

Given that United were the champions and hadn't lost at home in about two years, were squeezed out by the narrowest of margins that year and won it again, the following year, David Silva's display in the 6-1 is probably the greatest individual performance in Premier League history, let alone, of the decade.

Best team performance was the return derby that was settled by Kompany's header. People say the Cup semi was the breakthrough (and I understand why) but that night - with Mancini's mocking hand gestures to Ferguson and them not even getting a shot at goal - totally dispelled the fear factor.

Worst team performance came under Pellegrini at Southampton. (Although Wigan at Wembley was woeful too).

I'll throw a few alternates into the ring just for the sake of it, although not necessarily my top picks.

Best team: 4-0 away at Feyenoord in 2017. This was the most unrestrained I'd ever seen us. We played with a certain innocence that would later disappear for practical reasons, and this was also the last time we saw Mendy at his absolute most imperious (for now). The Bernardo-KDB-Walker triangle that game was something else. Another pick would be the 6-0 at Watford in the next game. Aguero and Jesus were on fire that match. I actually thought we were absolutely brilliant against Tottenham in the 2-2 too.

Worst team: Wigan in the FA Cup. The 2014 one at the Etihad though.

Best individual: 3 new ones. Richards in the 6-1. Milner (I know) in the 6-1. But a real stand out that will go unnoticed is Aguero's hattrick against Watford in 2017, the match I mentioned earlier. Fantastic performance all around. I think September 2017 Aguero (before the crash) is the best spell any City player has had this decade.

Worst individual: Not anything Fernando related, no no, how dare you :p. Zabaleta was atrocious in the 2013 FA Cup final. McManaman ripped him to shreds and the red card was a kick in the teeth. Hart had a real stinker too when we lost to Bayern in Pellegrini's first season.

Worst player performance Harmann...if not in the last 10 years it's seems like only yesterday v Forrest.

Worst team performance Soton away where much as I love him & he wasn't alone Gaz Baz may as well had a Saints shirt on.

Best player performance is hard Tevez v the rags in the LC SF.

Best team performance is even harder... the pulling together at the end of QPR but some excellent shows over the years.

God I love my club & the rollercoaster that goes with it.

WWYWWWS...where I am now shit or not!!

The QPR game when we won the league was a dreadful performance. Obviously totally overlooked because the result worked out OK in the end.

But a real stand out that will go unnoticed is Aguero's hattrick against Watford in 2017, the match I mentioned earlier. Fantastic performance all around.

Very good call. People don't notice it because it was early in the season, and didn't seem like a key match at the time. Watford had been on a very good run at that point. We simply made them look like an amateur team, a pub side. They literally couldn't get near the ball. I was astonished by it, I walked away from the pub where I watched it thinking “this team is doing things I've never seen before”. And I'd been at the Etihad one week previously where we'd smashed Liverpool. But this was different. We literally made professional footballers look like amateurs. Not just poor, or very poor. But completely out of their league. It's definitely up there with the four or five greatest team performances of the decade.

Best performance candidates

United at home 1-0 under Mancini. Huge pressure. Had to win and did and kept them quiet all night.

Barcelona 3-1 in the CL

Chelsea 1-0 away win De Bruyne winner and total domination.

Liverpool 2-1 last season. Huge pressure to win and did.

Worst performance candidates

Wigan Fa Cup Final.
Wigan Fa Cup QF
Wigan FA cup round 5
Newcastle reserves 0-2 at home in League cup.
Liverpool 1-4 at home.
Everton 0-4
Southampton 2-4
Norwich at home 2-3 last game of season.

Best Individual Performances

Hart v Dortmund
Hart v Barcelona
Kompany v United (1-0)
Toure V Newcastle away in title winning season
Aguero 5 goals v Newcastle in 6-1 win.
De Bruyne v Chelsea 1-0 win away

worst

Kolarov v Southampton
Mangala v Liverpool 4-1 loss at home.
Bony v anyone he played against.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.