Big away day attendances of the past.

standupifyouhatemanu said:
Millwallawayveteran1988 said:
All guesswork from years ago.

Our following at Blackburn in 2000 must have been 12000 plus.

Notts county away 1985 - 12000 ish

Rags Fa Cup 1-0 loss early 90's - 15000

Can't think of any other really big numbers at games I was at but Huddersfield, sheff wed and Oldham would always be 6000 plus and rags 10,000 ish

I'd put Blackburn at closer to 20000 if you count the number of CITY in the home seats and the epic warriors on the hill.

Still one of my favourite away days ever!

Give over, 12-14k is maybe accurate.

monkeymagic said:
Huddersfield in the first of the 3rd round matches in late 80's was a top following.
Good shout. Seemed to play them every couple of weeks at that time.

Bradford game was a big following as well, tonnes locked out.

From what I've read and been told:

Leeds away in the cup in the 70's (a Leeds lad I know from uni days says his Dad always says City fans that day were the best away following ever at Elland Rd). My Dad went to that game and says there coukd have been 13k City there. Bad thing is he got his head kicked in after the game.

A Boxing Day Stoke away trip. Read a few articles that say we took 12k to that.

Rags away in the cup. 15k!

Blackburn away I'd say about 13k.

Best I've seen at City were Sunderland when we relegated them in the early 90's. Must have been well over 10k! and my Dad always says Chelsea came with well over 10k in the 80's.

Opposite of that was away games in the midlands in late 70's, 1978 to be exact, gold star to anyone else who was at the Brum ( Oct. won 2-1 attendance 18k ) and Villa (Nov. drew 1-1 att 33k) away games, I'd wager we took less than 1000, don't know if it was the violence or what, as we had a decent team then just before Big Mal came along and decimated it.

danburge82 said:
From what I've read and been told:

Leeds away in the cup in the 70's (a Leeds lad I know from uni days says his Dad always says City fans that day were the best away following ever at Elland Rd). My Dad went to that game and says there coukd have been 13k City there. Bad thing is he got his head kicked in after the game.

A Boxing Day Stoke away trip. Read a few articles that say we took 12k to that.

Rags away in the cup. 15k!

Blackburn away I'd say about 13k.

Best I've seen at City were Sunderland when we relegated them in the early 90's. Must have

been well over 10k! and my Dad always says Chelsea came with well over 10k in the 80's.
Chelsea game was a Friday night, your dad must have had a few scoops. They've brought a lot, but no where near 10,000. They did bring an absolutely massive firm though!
Similarly, Sunderland must have brought about 6,000 to the game where they got relegated. Game fuckers though, I remember one lad trying to take the whole kippax on his jack - spinning around twatting anyone within range, he lasted a good 8 minutes

FA Cup Quarter Final v Everton 1981, about 17,000. I am sure you got a third of the tickets for a Qtr Final in those days.

No doubt we had some fantastic away support at times, but we also had away games where we took very few fans. I can remember going to Ipswich in 76, I think it was a Wednesday night. Me and my mate thought we were the only ones there, but we met up with about 6 other guys who had come in a mini bus. I remember we went in the paddock and sung our heads off. I think thats the fewest I've ever seen.

I think one of the biggest "spontaneous" turnouts was for Trevor Francis debut at Stoke at beginning of 1981-2 season (maybe around 12,000)

But the number at Stoke for boxing day 1988 was probably bigger (maybe 14,000) as this was put in everyone's diary as "fancy dress" day....and we were allocated larger part of ground.

1981: Stoke attendance for previous home game (v Coventry) 13,900
Attendance v City: 25256

1988:Stoke attendance for previous home games 7-9,000 (division 2)
Attendance v City: 24056
p.s. Chris "Kammy" Kamara scored for Stoke in this game.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.