Big Mal Memories

my memory of big mal was at old trafford, i was in the stretford end because it was only ticket i could get, about 1970 time, he was getting loads of stick from the reds and he was just smiling at them, city came out before the kick off and ran to the stretford end to warm up, they were singing i,d walk a million miles to the end of your nose mike summerbee, buzzer pointed to his nose, then you had francis lee has got vd hallelujah, Franny looked down his shorts, then you had mike doyle's a bast--d mike doyle's a bast--d, then it was allison allison shut your mouth allison shut your mouth, he waved to them, it was obvious malcolm had told them to run out to the stretford end, i felt so proud that day because i was shitting myself and had been recognised a couple of times, city won 1 nil buzzer heading in at the scoreboard end and running to the stretford end sliding to his knees Ade style, and pointing to his nose? that was the confidence malcolm put in to that side with joe, they had no fear of old trafford? those were the days my friend, those were the goals my friend? REST IN PEACE BIG MAL?

mancunial said:
my memory of big mal was at old trafford, i was in the stretford end because it was only ticket i could get, about 1970 time, he was getting loads of stick from the reds and he was just smiling at them, city came out before the kick off and ran to the stretford end to warm up, they were singing i,d walk a million miles to the end of your nose mike summerbee, buzzer pointed to his nose, then you had francis lee has got vd hallelujah, Franny looked down his shorts, then you had mike doyle's a bast--d mike doyle's a bast--d, then it was allison allison shut your mouth allison shut your mouth, he waved to them, it was obvious malcolm had told them to run out to the stretford end, i felt so proud that day because i was shitting myself and had been recognised a couple of times, city won 1 nil buzzer heading in at the scoreboard end and running to the stretford end sliding to his knees Ade style, and pointing to his nose? that was the confidence malcolm put in to that side with joe, they had no fear of old trafford? those were the days my friend, those were the goals my friend? REST IN PEACE BIG MAL?

absolute quality, quality post. it's things like this that make us young ones realise what a fantastic club we support. i am instantly jealous of the times some of you blues (my dad included) have enjoyed. it brings home the fact that we were once top dogs and makes the future, when we are again, more exciting.

citykev28 said:
mancunial said:

absolute quality, quality post. it's things like this that make us young ones realise what a fantastic club we support. i am instantly jealous of the times some of you blues (my dad included) have enjoyed. it brings home the fact that we were once top dogs and makes the future, when we are again, more exciting.

Great times indeed, going to the swamp and expecting to win. A team that really believed in itself and so much of that down to Mercer and Allison

Mal and Bert Trautmann used to visit the plough in Aston on Mersey now and again they were both always willing to chat and especially about football two lovely gentlemen

A story about mal was when we won the cup winners cup in 1970 the hotel where city was staying was getting worried about the bar bill, and they went to mal and asked him about it, mal aske how much it was and they said 1000 pounds, mal then said , do not insult me, come back when it is 2000 pounds. super guy R.I.P SUPER MAL

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3182073/Tributes-pour-in-for-Big-Mal.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sp ... g-Mal.html</a>

Put this up just a great photo of the man and a nice read for those who dont remember him

Another of Big Mal's firsts was that he was the first controversial TV panel pundit.

These days, football pundits are 10 a penny, but the half time 'panel' discussion was an ITV innovation for the 1970 World Cup, and Big Mal certainly shook things up with some of his opinions.

Some say that the celebrity thing that went with that was the beginning of the end. Bollocks. It was simply another extension of his personality. This guy was a showman - all ITV did was give him a platform and let him go.

He will be sadly sadly missed.

MY memory of him that I'll never forget was when he came back to maine road with palace in 81 for a cup game.I was too young to be around when he was there with Joe so looking forward to the game
On the way my mates dad kept sayin I bet he goes over to the fans like he loved doing in the Mercer/Allison era and have a bit of banter,he did to much cheering. He came back to the dugout and me being a brash 14 year old said " I thought the cheer would have been fucking louder than that Malcolm" he turned and said " Your too young to be swearing in my house lad"
Nobody could argue with it.

I have a signed shirt from 1970 season with Joe,Malcolms and a few players signatures along with a hole on it.My mates dad who I got it from always said with a smirk the hole was made by one of his cigars,I've always hoped it's true.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.