Biggest mistake City have ever made?

Allowing those who launched the takeover of City in November 1970 (when we were holders of 2 major trophies) - Joe Smith, Ian Niven, Simon Cussins, Michael Horwich and Chris Muir - to talk with existing board and progress their takeover of the club.

That led to most of that group joining the board; they split the Mercer-Allison highly successful partnership; brought Peter Swales in; they supported Swales for most of his City career; turned City into a club that was losing money year on year rather than one that was making a profitable; led to City being a failed club and fallen giant; and also some of those same people talked Peter Swales into bringing back Malcolm Allison.

Without them who knows what would have happened, but it couldn't have been much worse.

As for Thaksin - I strongly disagree that he was one of the biggest mistakes. City could have gone under without his arrival; he took the club into clear ownership (rather than thousands of shareholders - that may annoy me personally but it actually ensured the club could be sold to the Sheikh); he brought in Sven instead of Hughes (who the existing MD claimed he had wanted); he brought in Garry Cook who fought a few very important internal battles and - this I have on tape direct from the Sheikh's immediate advisors - Cook was the most impressive thing about MCFC when they started their negotiations.

Thaksin made money out of City and did make odd demands at the time of the sale (but I know he's not the only man to have made money out of City and made odd demands when selling!) but his period was vital in the transition between the failing club we had and the one we have today.

EDIT: I'd also like to add that Thaksin did have a longer term plan for City. Not 20 years maybe, but at least 5. Anyone who sat in meetings during that time (which I did) will have heard him talk of his ideas to turn City into a global club (some ideas were very crazy, but others could have worked).
It was only when his assets were frozen that he struggled financially and was unable to do what he had planned to do.

SPIDERBOY said:
Brian Horton

Yes, replacing him with Alan Ball was a master stroke......

Most has been said. I would have gone for the rags at Maine Road and Swales too.

Also the ''pushing upstairs'' of Joe Mercer, ultimately leading to his departure.

On the pitch, the signings of Steve Daley, Lee Badbury and I still fail to understand how Rocque Santa Crock passed a medical!

What was it that the clubs medical staff didn't see that every fan could see without even having the advantage of examining him?

Wardle and Keegan ousting Bernstein over the Fowler signing.

At the time I was with my ex-wife and her Dad was a red. He openly admitted that with Bernstein at the helm, we were really going places and he was worried that we were on the right path. He said at the time, "Typical City to go and shoot themselves in the foot again".

Swales and Alan Ball both up there as huge mistakes.

I always wonder where we could have gone if we'd kept Howard Kendall? I know Everton was in his heart blah blah etc BUT if we'd have kept him I reckon we could have been near the top for much longer?!

Alan Ball heeding the advice of some bloke in the Main Stand with a transistor radio has to be up there.

Appointing John Benson always seems to get overlooked.

Peter Swales offering Joe Royle the job live on TV, which caused him to turn it down when the fans and staff at Oldham pulled on his heartstrings.

The abortion that was the Umbro Stand. Another missed opprtunity.

Bringing Big Mal back and allowing him to dismantle a very good team in an unbridled fashion.

However the biggest mistake has to be showing our not so noisy neighbours kindness and benevolence on more than one occasion in the past, to enable them to survive and flourish, for them only to forget this fact as soon as it suited them.

Reading through some of the suggestions and most have been truly awful mistakes. I would say though that Brian "who" Horton did better than expected, with limited resources. Given all the circumstances, and past history of all the managers we've ever appointed, the decision to employ Alan ball as a football manager has to be the worst. He'd already proven, over a sustained period, that he couldn't manage a piss up in 'bargain booze'...... Who the fook, knowing what we all knew, would give the job to Alan ball ?You can only assume he'd put a few porky pies in his CV.....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.