Birthday cards

Mad Eyed Screamer

I had to buy 3 birthday cards yesterday for the step daughter (aged 32 and no. No pics!)
One from her brother (that can't stand her)
One from her son (aged 6 that she abandoned and he lives with us)
One from her mum (and me) and as much as she has motherly love for her, she also knows her daughter is a twat.

I struggled to buy a decent card. The wording on each one I picked up was awful. Vomit inducing.
"You are the best mum / sister / daughter that a son / brother / mother could wish for.....
And other type shite.
In the end I decided to take the piss out of her and for her son's card it said "thanks mum (or mom for the Yanks amongst us) for everything you do for me, you are appreciated" because she does fuck all for her son, so i want to see her face reading that!
For her brothers card I chose "on this day sit back, relax and do nothing" because that's what she does every fucking day.
I couldn't find a decent card for Mrs Screamer to give her so went for "funny" card that was barely funny.

Why can't card producers simply.make.great covers and leave the inside blank. We all don't live in this perfect world where every relative is the best relative they could ever have wished for. Plenty of relatives are twats but to keep the peace a card needs to be sent but without the Hallmarks propaganda inside.

Big waste of money! Some of the “Hallmark Holiday” cards are approaching $10, because they think they’ve got you over a barrel!

If you have to send a card, find a blank note card and write something decent in it. After all, isn’t that what the card is about, the sentiments?

Big waste of money! Some of the “Hallmark Holiday” cards are approaching $10, because they think they’ve got you over a barrel!

If you have to send a card, find a blank note card and write something decent in it. After all, isn’t that what the card is about, the sentiments?
You beat me to it @ChicagoBlue
Apart from the Great-Grandkids who get loving cards with extra loving words in (so sue me, I love them and they are young!!) I have three packs of blank note cards and I write in them for the older relatives birthdays.

You beat me to it @ChicagoBlue
Apart from the Great-Grandkids who get loving cards with extra loving words in (so sue me, I love them and they are young!!) I have three packs of blank note cards and I write in them for the older relatives birthdays.
Rather than gushy nonsense, written by some nameless, faceless person in a cubicle, we try to write meaningful comments regarding how proud we are of accomplishments, the type of person they have become and how young, old, mature, youthful, active, inspiring, etc. they are both to us and for their age or whatever accomplishment we are celebrating.

Call us old fashioned, but we like to spend a moment of actual thought on cards, because they can be meaningful to the recipient, even if considered perfunctory by many senders.

IIRC the last one I sent was £5.99 - dunno how much they charge in the US
£6 x 1.3 is about $8, which is about right for anything looking remotely like effort was put into the card.

Dollar Stores do a booming business in cards for that exact reason!

Rather than gushy nonsense, written by some nameless, faceless person in a cubicle, we try to write meaningful comments regarding how proud we are of accomplishments, the type of person they have become and how young, old, mature, youthful, active, inspiring, etc. they are both to us and for their age or whatever accomplishment we are celebrating.

Call us old fashioned, but we like to spend a moment of actual thought on cards, because they can be meaningful to the recipient, even if considered perfunctory by many senders.
Hear, hear. I send messages similar to that. Plus I don't keep it just to birthdays or Christmas I like to send them random messages sometimes by phone but mostly by cards. I'm old fashioned with you. :-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.