Blue Moon Playlist Review Club - Season 2, Episode 18 - BM Openers - Out on blue 6 (pg 353)

This has probably been the theme so far that has made me think the most. Not to find songs per se, but what is it that makes a good opening song work.

I have split mine into 3 main categories.

An 'abstract' introduction. The one I already mentioned, not always a conventional song as such, but sets the mood. A song you Could do without, but would rather not. On its own though, not much. Tautou being one I already mentioned. Idles' MTT420 RR is probably another one, excellent build-up song to gateway into a hectic album, but on its own or as part of a playlist (like here for example), might feel a bit odd. Or Frightened Rabbit's Death Dream, a song that shocks straight to the point and launches you into the album, but not one you would choose to listen to on its own.

The big opener. Your best song first, open with the strongest of the album. I always consider that a bit of a cop-out tbh, maybe too obvious. Like Jimmy Eat World opening Bleed American, with Bleed American. Placebo opening Loud Like Love with Loud Like Love etc.

The debut. Bands only get one shot at this. Ever. Their first song of their first album, that people will be hearing for the first time and might stick with them as the sound or moment they'll remember forever. Like Placebo's Come Home, Brand New's Shower Scene, Audioslave's Cochise etc.

What to put forward? Fuck knows yet, I'm just havering. But then this thread is as much about the discussion as it is about listening to songs, so that's ok I guess.

Might try do one from each category, for the three songs.

Edit. Side challenge, is there a song out there that fits all 3?

While we are at it. How fucking good are Idles at opening their albums! Every single one, opens with an excellent song.

Heel / Heal - what a debut. 'I want to move in to a Bovis home.. and make a list of everything I own'. What a line to start with, ab excellent 'category 3' song.

Colossus - somewhere between category 1 and 2. An excellent song but not the standout hit, definitely sets the mood, somewhat a touch unconventional

War - category 2 all day long, the rest of the album doesn't disappoint, but the pick of the bunch on Ultra Mono for me

MTT420 RR - excellent category 1 song.

IDEA01 - same.

A real 5/5, can't really think of any other band that has done it so well on literally every single one of their albums. I am also somewhat surprised at the number of bands I really like, that have arguably week openers on a lot of their albums. Like Biffy Clyro for example.

While we are at it. How fucking good are Idles at opening their albums! Every single one, opens with an excellent song.

Heel / Heal - what a debut. 'I want to move in to a Bovis home.. and make a list of everything I own'. What a line to start with, ab excellent 'category 3' song.

Colossus - somewhere between category 1 and 2. An excellent song but not the standout hit, definitely sets the mood, somewhat a touch unconventional

War - category 2 all day long, the rest of the album doesn't disappoint, but the pick of the bunch on Ultra Mono for me

MTT420 RR - excellent category 1 song.

IDEA01 - same.

A real 5/5, can't really think of any other band that has done it so well on literally every single one of their albums. I am also somewhat surprised at the number of bands I really like, that have arguably week openers on a lot of their albums. Like Biffy Clyro for example.
When's one of these going on the album thread? Been waiting for years and there's been a lot of chatter. Midlake song fits 2 of the criteria but it's not unconventional. I've accepted the challenge of finding one but it's actually not very easy

This has probably been the theme so far that has made me think the most. Not to find songs per se, but what is it that makes a good opening song work.

I have split mine into 3 main categories.

An 'abstract' introduction. The one I already mentioned, not always a conventional song as such, but sets the mood. A song you Could do without, but would rather not. On its own though, not much. Tautou being one I already mentioned. Idles' MTT420 RR is probably another one, excellent build-up song to gateway into a hectic album, but on its own or as part of a playlist (like here for example), might feel a bit odd. Or Frightened Rabbit's Death Dream, a song that shocks straight to the point and launches you into the album, but not one you would choose to listen to on its own.

The big opener. Your best song first, open with the strongest of the album. I always consider that a bit of a cop-out tbh, maybe too obvious. Like Jimmy Eat World opening Bleed American, with Bleed American. Placebo opening Loud Like Love with Loud Like Love etc.

The debut. Bands only get one shot at this. Ever. Their first song of their first album, that people will be hearing for the first time and might stick with them as the sound or moment they'll remember forever. Like Placebo's Come Home, Brand New's Shower Scene, Audioslave's Cochise etc.

What to put forward? Fuck knows yet, I'm just havering. But then this thread is as much about the discussion as it is about listening to songs, so that's ok I guess.

Might try do one from each category, for the three songs.

Edit. Side challenge, is there a song out there that fits all 3?

80's rock bands would 'usually' start with a solid rock song, that would generally be played live, and be in the best 4 songs on the album....followed by a contender for weakest song....followed by the 'single'.
I always saw it a bit like deciding the batting order in cricket, protect the weakest songs, so there's not a run of them.
Obviously there're exceptions......and what songs are better/weaker are personal opinion.

When's one of these going on the album thread? Been waiting for years and there's been a lot of chatter. Midlake song fits 2 of the criteria but it's not unconventional. I've accepted the challenge of finding one but it's actually not very easy

My next round, for sure this time. Hopefully people forget by the time otherwise the clue guessing bit has been ruined.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.