Blue Moon Playlist Review Club - Season 2, Episode 18 - BM Openers - Out on blue 6 (pg 353)

It's Father's day and I might not have got everything right but I've done a few things well :-)
It is nice to see the US and UK at least can both agree on the same Sunday for Father's Day, even if we do have different Mother's Day dates.

Given England also has a match and I get to remotely watch it together with my sons in different cities on the phone is an added bonus. My sons' album selections are nothing like mine, but we do at least have some band overlap. If that were the case, one would agree with Dad that "Fly From Heaven" is a solid TtWS opener while the other and I would favor "Uprising" from Muse, if we had an overlapped musical vote.

Not perfect by any stretch, but since Dad doesn't know any Dave, there's only so much I can do when things diverge.

Happy Father's Day to all the Blue Moon dads!

Just told my 16 year old what this week's theme is, he thought about it for a moment and came back with Love Vigilantes and why in his opinion it marginally edged Disorder and Age of Consent as an opener.

It's Father's day and I might not have got everything right but I've done a few things well :-)

He likes Iron and Wine, good lad ;)

He likes Iron and Wine, good lad ;)

Haha. I've just played it for him, unsurprisingly he was underwhelmed but I think you have to be a certain age and some lived experience to appreciate someone like him anyway. In fairness and on the subject of openers he didn't pull a face at You Never Know from the new album.

Ok, as you can see from the time stamp on this contribution, I have too much time on my hands for thinking.
I have an early morning appointment where I am going to be monitored for sleep deprivation. Yes sleep deprivation. I have to stay up more or less all night and then go into the clinic and be hooked up and,… well, try to fall asleep.

Anyway, I’ve been thinking about my last choice and should I go for the live album or not. Although I think it’s the perfect opening for a show and demonstrates perfectly what Rob expressed for the theme of the thread, perhaps it’s not in keeping with the spirit of the ‘competition’.

I’ll go for a studio album instead.
I’m going to go back to the seventies again. Rory Gallagher, from the time he went solo from Taste, put out some fabulous albums, a really great body of work in that decade. I was tempted to go with the debut, self named album at the start of the decade and the wonderful ‘Laundromat’ which signalled a new era for Rory. It really is a wonderful tune that has heavy rock, swing and jazz elements in it that really does signal the possibilities of where he may go. Where he may take you with him.

Instead though I’m going to the end of the seventies and the wonderful Top Priority album. Dave Fanning over here was like the Irish equivalent of John Peel and his show on Friday evening used to open with the intro of ‘Follow Me’.
At the end of the seventies and early eighties, we used to bring a radio out onto the street and listen to pirate radio. This intro always struck me as a brilliant opening to anything. Not just the radio show. The album, of course, which I hadn’t heard at the time, but live also, seems so exciting.

My choice: Follow Me - Top Priority-Rory Gallagher.

I was going to just go with a few obvious good album openers from my tried and trusted favourites, but Coatigan's comments have made me dig a little deeper.

I'm not sure that it's possible to hit all three categories he mentioned: best song but also one you could do without?

Anyway, this probably ticks best song and debut album boxes.

"Shanty" - The Bright Light Social Hour

I was going to just go with a few obvious good album openers from my tried and trusted favourites, but Coatigan's comments have made me dig a little deeper.

I'm not sure that it's possible to hit all three categories he mentioned: best song but also one you could do without?

Anyway, this probably ticks best song and debut album boxes.

"Shanty" - The Bright Light Social Hour

Ha, well I did say that yiu can do without, but choose not to. But yes you are right, that then doesn't let it also be the obvious strong hit from the album. Which I followed up saying the two might be mutually exclusive by default.

Quite a few that come to mind I've already used on other lists.

"I don't believe in an interventionist God" is a great way lyrically to start an album.

Those opening couple of bars of synth on Seasons are simple but brilliant.

Talk Talk from The Party's Over too.

Think I will go for...

Cowboy Junkies - Mining For Gold

For the way it announces how the album was recorded and is going to sound, with the band playing around a single ambisonic mic. In reality it's actually a pretty good con trick because it implies that the short acapella opening track segues in a single take into the next track Misguided Angel. In practice the opening track was recorded days after the church sessions and Misguided Angel was actually the last track recorded in the church (albeit it was done in one take).

It is interesting, looking back through the album thread at what people have remarked were 'strong openers'.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.