Blue Moon Playlist Review Club - Season 2 - Episode 19 - Dynamic Duos - Coatigan (pg 368)

I’m on a chill out today after last night.
Just back after about an hours’ drive.
You go ahead, I’ll get my brain back in gear first.

Yea you have like two whole weeks to work through the gears if you fancy it. Just shout any time. If not, it is back to the beginning so literally anyone can jump in.

I have two of the artists picked already just deciding which songs.
May well have the third duo also, if I can pick a suitable song for you lot.

A curve ball or two in the mix.

I can confirm I've not ever heard them on FM radio or from friends albums, which were my main source of music back in the day when this was released. I was not into glam rock (save Bowie) or art rock back then, I can assure you.

I don't see them charting in the US per wiki: Career highlights include "This Town Ain't Big Enough for Both of Us", which reached No. 2 on the UK Singles Chart in 1974.

I think this sums things up well on them: In the beginning, they attempted to emulate the sound of their English idols, such as the Who, Syd Barrett-era Pink Floyd and the Kinks, sometimes even pretending to be an English band while on the LA club circuit. They relocated to England during the glam rock era where, despite cutting an odd figure on this scene, they found success with their polished brand of intricate pop tunes and convoluted lyrics.

That was never going to make it big in the US or get any decent play on FM rock radio at the time.

They were loved in LA, but as one who grew up near Philly, I was no fan of anything from LA back in the day (think MLB/NBA rivalries).

Sparks were the second (headlining) band I ever saw in concert.

Missed the last playlist completely :(

I've got two playlists and themes ready for Monday. Still can't decide which to go with. Given this thread has no guessing, secrecy or such, might as well get group input on this to help decide.

1. Songs that reference cancer. With a couple members of these threads openly dealing with it, while I don't always readily say supportive stuff, the though is there for yous. And no doubt others will have friends and family members dealing with it too.

It is however maybe a well intended but ultimately shallow attempt, as the songs I end up with aren't really any form of 'music therapy', some just use it as a metaphor for something else. It is also a fairly samey set of songs, by bands most of which I have put up before. It might also be just too niche to get enough contribution.

2. Dynamic Duos. A broader simpler theme. Bands with only 2 people in them. Easy right! I have a set of 5, again, a little bit samey. Partly, because the two in question tend to often be a drummer and bassist/guitarist. And partly because while there are a fair few to pick from, I tried to leave out the more obvious ones for others to pick.

Happy to take thoughts, in case they help sway me kne way or another. Ultimately, the most important thing is that the music itself is enjoyable and engaging.

Go with the second one mate, even I'd struggle with the first and I'm one of the ones with the bastard disease.

Music takes me away from the constant bloods, chat about bloods, immunotherapy, chats about the immunotherapy, more bloods, liver tests, body scans, kidney tests etc etc and the "oh, you look well, I was expecting far worse" that pervades my life at the moment.

Dynamic Duos

As the name suggests, bands with juat 2 people in them. I tried to focus on ones that do all the music and sounds themselves, as opposed to, say two singers with a backing band. But that was me, anything is open to anyone. And no, I've not stuck 5 Proclaimers songs! I also picked things I wouldn't expect others to pick, in the hope some I would have gone with pop up, I live a good gamble, me.

1. Teen Mortgage - Tuning In
So far my album of the year, just two guys doig fun lighthearted songs. They are generally short, sharp and poppy-bouncy.

2. Midnight Ambulance - Black Goves
Interesting story of an unplanned band formation, trying something. Quite like these two Scots, and they make some interesting animated videos too that are kinda works of art in their own right

3. Cleopatrick - Sanjake
Canadian gunge revivalists, I put forward a couple of theirs on various other themes, some have noted planning on giving them more of a listen. Timely reminder

4. Teskey Brothers - forever you and me
An Australian duo, just for Rob. Their Run Home Slow album is really good, and was at one point considered for the other thread. Like an aussie Paolo Nutini, but with two dudes.

5. Origami Angel - the title track.
For all your math rock needs. I thought these two were at it pretending to be a duo, till I saw them live. Lots of loops and effects decieve, but it was impressive multitasking and some real pedal gazing going on.

If someone could get a spotify list together I'd much appreciate it. I'll update them via a liat here each day to make adding easier. Cheers.

Dynamic Duos

As the name suggests, bands with juat 2 people in them. I tried to focus on ones that do all the music and sounds themselves, as opposed to, say two singers with a backing band. But that was me, anything is open to anyone. And no, I've not stuck 5 Proclaimers songs! I also picked things I wouldn't expect others to pick, in the hope some I would have gone with pop up, I live a good gamble, me.

So far my album of the year, just two guys doig fun lighthearted songs. They are generally short, sharp and poppy-bouncy.

Interesting story of an unplanned band formation, trying something. Quite like these two Scots, and they make some interesting animated videos too that are kinda works of art in their own right

3. Cleopatrick - Sanjake
Canadian gunge revivalists, I put forward a couple of theirs on various other themes, some have noted planning on giving them more of a listen. Timely reminder

An Australian duo, just for Rob. Their Run Home Slow album is really good, and was at one point considered for the other thread. Like an aussie Paolo Nutini, but with two dudes.

For all your math rock needs. I thought these two were at it pretending to be a duo, till I saw them live. Lots of loops and effects decieve, but it was impressive multitasking and some real pedal gazing going on.

If someone could get a spotify list together I'd much appreciate it. I'll update them via a liat here each day to make adding easier. Cheers.
Liked the Midnight Ambulance from previous so interested to see what this one is like. Funny how what imagined you may put on like Moffat and Middleton (don't want to give anything away) and Hue and Cry haven't made an appearance yet!!!

Dynamic Duos

3. Cleopatrick - Sanjake

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.