Blue Moon Playlist Review Club - Season 2, Episode 18 - BM Openers - Out on blue 6 (pg 353)

Ok, what am I missing, and fill me in?! Too UK popular? Too popish? Too Scottish? Too indie?

They're as well known in the US as Biffy (= not much), so I'm listening...

Well my initial thought was thread ban but then I thought a reeducation camp would be sufficient ;-)

Being serious, unfortunately for them they became the poster boys for a certain type of acoustic oriented rock/pop that became to be perceived as a bit 'dinner party safe', or insipid if you are being harsher, in comparison to what was coming through. Mostly it was a case of they were simply over exposed at which point sections of the press decided they were fair game.

Mostly it was a case of they were simply over exposed at which point sections of the press decided they were fair game.
Thanks, I figured it was something like that, which did not happen in the States.

I guess then that I'll be the next one here (not) telling everyone how the show was. ;-)

Ok, what am I missing, and fill me in?! Too UK popular? Too popish? Too Scottish? Too indie?

Became guilty of selling too many records and becoming successful. Totally inoffensive really. Bass player married Kelly McDonald which is reason enough to dislike

You know, I reckon if we could have got you to a Depeche Mode gig at the height of their pomp, we could have turned you.
I think I saw them live mime in 1981. I was on the Saturday morning show Get Set For Summer (hosted by Mark Curry, you may remember it) on the same episode they were on. I'm 75% certain it was them or if not it was Duran Duran. Didn't matter, they all sounded the same and not in the same league as the American bands I grew to love a few years later. It's like the UK bands are arsing about whereas the US bands really knew how to play.

It is quite popular in the UK to hate Travis. Don't really know why. All the cool kids were doing it, it made you relevant and in touch with the times.

I'll admit, I haven't given them much of a go myself. But I also never understood the apathy. They seem to have come about at the wrong time, and got compared to other music magazine rated bands, who are just as fucking 'boring' imo. Echoed perception of the masses is an interesting thing. But probably a topic in itself.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.