Blue Moon Playlist Review Club - Season 2 - Episode 23 - Black&White&BlueMoon Town - Tailgating Music (pg 404)

These mean a lot to me as I have been at all of these. Maybe not the concert but the tour/ residency.

Some of the picture quality not great because Kate banned recordings but the music stands for itself.

I thought about putting Genesis lamb lies down tour in but the quality was dreadful so instead we have Steve doing a track from Selling England - I have seen him multiple times live. If I could I would have put Zeppelin from 1973 but again, a lack of quality.

Hopefully there is something for you to enjoy.

Right. A concert of two halves.
Prog for me and Kate for my missus, who loves her almost as much as you do Sadds.

Well that’s what I expected anyhow but,….
I come away with very mixed emotions. With Kate I got exactly what I was expecting and really, that is not such a bad thing. She’s great. It’s theatrical but you know that’s what she is. Very very good Sadds and I can see why you love her.

Now my youth was filled with every Yes and Genesis album and Seconds Out would have been an all time favourite live album. And don’t get me started on Yessongs.
I played those albums to death.

So why am I so disappointed in these two offerings now. Well I think it’s me and my expectations, no. 1.
Number 2, it’s where my appreciation in music has gone since the 80’s.

I look at what I put forward for a concert and really it is simple basics. Whether it’s in a three or a four piece, it’s music from the gut. I look at Forth of Fifth with Hackett, a piece I actually loved the emotion of on Seconds Out and I see none of it on display.
I see the performers on stage outnumbering the audience. Every note is almost album perfect. The drums in their own booth, everyone just seems detached from the audience. And ultimately, I really don’t like the vocals. The singer just left me cold.

I then look at The Fish. I was really looking forward to this. Totally different type of music, but Howe’s harmonics on guitar is the same technique I was waxing lyrical about on ‘Walk On Hot Coals’. Steve Howe is absolutely brilliant. I’ve seen them a few times and the guy is passionate no matter what he’s playing. He’s honest and believable. However I just didn’t get that from Squire. These guys were my idols but I look at these concerts now and can’t help have that niggling realisation that what punk was giving out about is there on display for all to see.
Is this just too overblown?
Was my taste up my arse?
Well no. Your taste is your own and don’t let anyone tell you you’re wrong about what you like.
I just feel my tastes have evolved or devolved or whatever the opposites are in this case.

I grew up on these kind of performances but don’t seem to be getting the same from them now.

Sorry Sadds.

For me personally the best live concert film is The Last Waltz. The Last Waltz was advertised as The Band's "farewell concert appearance", and the concert had The Band joined by more than a dozen special guests, including their previous employers Ronnie Hawkins and Bob Dylan, as well as Paul Butterfield, Bobby Charles, Eric Clapton, Neil Diamond, Emmylou Harris, Dr. John, Joni Mitchell, Van Morrison, Ringo Starr, Muddy Waters, Ronnie Wood, and Neil Young.
Levon Helm sings and plays his heart out on this one. Only Garth Hudson left from this fantastic band.
The Band - The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down

I must have worn the tape out watching Tourfilm when it came out. A band at the top of their game and could have picked almost anything but went for this.
I am the King of all I see
My kingdom for a voice

REM - King of Birds

When James Murphy decided to disband his band his final gig was at Madison Square Garden. They finished the set with New York I Love You But You're Bringing Me Down but I would have preferred this one. One of the standout sets at Glastonbury this year.

LCD Soundsystem - All My (Bluemoon) Friends

Right. A concert of two halves.
Prog for me and Kate for my missus, who loves her almost as much as you do Sadds.

Well that’s what I expected anyhow but,….
I come away with very mixed emotions. With Kate I got exactly what I was expecting and really, that is not such a bad thing. She’s great. It’s theatrical but you know that’s what she is. Very very good Sadds and I can see why you love her.

Now my youth was filled with every Yes and Genesis album and Seconds Out would have been an all time favourite live album. And don’t get me started on Yessongs.
I played those albums to death.

So why am I so disappointed in these two offerings now. Well I think it’s me and my expectations, no. 1.
Number 2, it’s where my appreciation in music has gone since the 80’s.

I look at what I put forward for a concert and really it is simple basics. Whether it’s in a three or a four piece, it’s music from the gut. I look at Forth of Fifth with Hackett, a piece I actually loved the emotion of on Seconds Out and I see none of it on display.
I see the performers on stage outnumbering the audience. Every note is almost album perfect. The drums in their own booth, everyone just seems detached from the audience. And ultimately, I really don’t like the vocals. The singer just left me cold.

I then look at The Fish. I was really looking forward to this. Totally different type of music, but Howe’s harmonics on guitar is the same technique I was waxing lyrical about on ‘Walk On Hot Coals’. Steve Howe is absolutely brilliant. I’ve seen them a few times and the guy is passionate no matter what he’s playing. He’s honest and believable. However I just didn’t get that from Squire. These guys were my idols but I look at these concerts now and can’t help have that niggling realisation that what punk was giving out about is there on display for all to see.
Is this just too overblown?
Was my taste up my arse?
Well no. Your taste is your own and don’t let anyone tell you you’re wrong about what you like.
I just feel my tastes have evolved or devolved or whatever the opposites are in this case.

I grew up on these kind of performances but don’t seem to be getting the same from them now.

Sorry Sadds.
Don’t apologise. The zenith of Yes and Genesis was in the 70s. I saw them both in that decade and would have posted footage from concerts around them if there was anything descent to show. I have seen Yes at least 8 times over the years and the fish is a crowd favourite usually performed with much gusto and no little hamming from Chris. Every concert I have attended is less good than the previous one. It’s a sad fact of most bands ageing process. I don’t think it’s particularly your taste changing mate. I thought some footage of Steve would be enjoyed. Contrary to what you think his concert tours which occur annually are always a sell out and he is very much loved by those that attend. He still comfortably sells out the RAH and the atmosphere is invariably upbeat and warm. The musicianship is technically brilliant and in all honesty far superior to early Genesis. The singer is an acquired taste but at least does not attempt to copy PG. Would I have posted footage from Lamb Lies Down tour and TfTO tour , absolutely if I could have found them. The footage I posted was very much second best but still means a lot.
As for Kate, I despair that she didn’t release a proper record of her Before the Dawn residency as what appears on you tube including that which I posted is a pale shadow of the real live experience.

BTW. Yessongs remains my favourite Yes album :-)

Don’t apologise. The zenith of Yes and Genesis was in the 70s. I saw them both in that decade and would have posted footage from concerts around them if there was anything descent to show. I have seen Yes at least 8 times over the years and the fish is a crowd favourite usually performed with much gusto and no little hamming from Chris. Every concert I have attended is less good than the previous one. It’s a sad fact of most bands ageing process. I don’t think it’s particularly your taste changing mate. I thought some footage of Steve would be enjoyed. Contrary to what you think his concert tours which occur annually are always a sell out and he is very much loved by those that attend. He still comfortably sells out the RAH and the atmosphere is invariably upbeat and warm. The musicianship is technically brilliant and in all honesty far superior to early Genesis. The singer is an acquired taste but at least does not attempt to copy PG. Would I have posted footage from Lamb Lies Down tour and TfTO tour , absolutely if I could have found them. The footage I posted was very much second best but still means a lot.
As for Kate, I despair that she didn’t release a proper record of her Before the Dawn residency as what appears on you tube including that which I posted is a pale shadow of the real live experience.

It might not appear so at first glance, from what I wrote, but it seems as though we are largely on the same page.

Fantastic selection. Wished I had seen them back then, but too young for concerts.

I've seen them in the 80's and saw ABWH+Tony Levin in 1989 which was amazing.

I've seen them close to 8 times too, Chris Squire always was one who got energy from the crowd and had a smile on his face. He was one of the best on bass.

Thanks for choosing him and 3 of the lesser known live tracks. I knew well enough to stay out of your way and let you cook on this round! ;-)
Think I would’ve preferred to let you choose him rather than your Rush pick! Lol
I like your other choices though.
I've got Man City for the first time live on Monday (practice) and Tuesday (Celtic), so this is a BIG week coming up here!
enjoy !

Think I would’ve preferred to let you choose him rather than your Rush pick! Lol
I like your other choices though.
"Must we have a Rush pick every playlist?" That comment still sticks with me, so I smiled to myself as I put this together. When it comes to a live performance and that crowd - well, you know THAT answer! ;-)
Very much looking forward to it. Just need the rain to hold off during the Monday practice and Tuesday match, but that won't matter unless there is lightning. Certainly hope that isn't the case.

At least our squad will be well prepared for the humidity and heat this season that they will likely not experience later on that they will be well accustomed to after this stage of their trip. 95% right now.

Last edited:
With Kate I got exactly what I was expecting and really, that is not such a bad thing. She’s great. It’s theatrical but you know that’s what she is.
This phrase has been worming its way round my brain since it first popped up on the review of Before the Dawn. I see 'theatrical' used in many descriptions of her music and I can agree that her two live shows in 35 years did indeed contain a variety of 'the arts'. Her videos ditto. Theatricality though has a certain connotation to it, it screams 'lovies' 'west end musicals' 'Oscar and Hammerstein, Andrew Lloyd Webber (Oxford dic Theatricality: the quality of being exaggerated and excessively dramatic).

For me it is has always been the unique voice, music and songwriting at the heart of her genius and the longevity of her career.

Credit to Rambo for thinking outside the box. (I actually typed Eamo there but autocorrect had a sense of humour so I'll just leave it. Lol, Rambo).

The format for me did mean I was restricted to when I can listen to it, not my usual at work or on the go routine. It meant I had to dedicate time to it. Also meant I maybe paid more attention when I did. I tried to keep people's threes together.

It was interesting, picking songs as well. Normally I'd make a wee list at the start of the theme, and then picknfrom it depending on my mood on the day, or what others were putting up. Here I had to think a bit more how they all sit together. Which was an added bit of fun.

Of the songs, the Thea Gilmore (bonus) song was my favourite. Heard it before by spires, but it is that powerful. Also liked the Giddens performance. Metallica absolutely smashed it. Found a new level of appreciation of Depeche Mode and Rory, so Bimbo and Rambo's campaigns are paying off. Rory comes across as if he is a normal guy till he slips into his music, then he turns into the beast. But doesnt look like he lives the aloof rock star full time, which is admirable.

Overall, enjoyable theme and fortnight. Followed a few more tangent threads that youtube suggests, andnexplored a couple a bit more, but found this is more intuitive on Spotify. Might need to make more of a conscious effort over time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.