Blue Moon Playlist Review Club - Season 2 - Episode 23 - Black&White&BlueMoon Town - Tailgating Music (pg 404)

I'll put up a song that addresses the theme of "Justice" in my first selection.

Released back in 2016, this song was written by Patterson Hood and inspired after the 2014 untried death of Michael Brown, and after the 2012 Trayvon Martin shooting in Florida by that gunman supposedly "stand(ing) his ground" per that state law.

After the first murder, online references to the phrase "black lives matter" were first seen, which took on a whole new meaning by 2020's events.

Drive-By Truckers - "What It Means"

The version of this song from the Copperhead Road album is one of my favourite story songs and wraps up with a courtroom scene and clever use of the song title. The production on this album, and particularly this song, is so good - just listen to those gunshot drums.

"The Devil's Right Hand" - Steve Earle

The version of this song from the Copperhead Road album is one of my favourite story songs and wraps up with a courtroom scene and clever use of the song title. The production on this album, and particularly this song, is so good - just listen to those gunshot drums.

"The Devil's Right Hand" - Steve Earle

I’m going to bring the mood down with Steve Earle’s “Billy Austin”.

And up rolls the riot van
And these lads just wind the coppers up
They ask why they don't catch proper crooks
They get their address and their names took
But they couldn't care less

Thrown in the riot van
And all the coppers kicked him in
And there was no way he could win
Just had to take it on the chin

Could have done with a bit of old school justice in Southport last night

Arctic Monkeys - Riot Van

Sorry I haven’t been about lately.
I appreciate the comments about the last theme and will try to contribute to this one, but I fear I may be a little busy for quite a while yet.

I’m going to bring the mood down with Steve Earle’s “Billy Austin”.

There's loads of Earle's songs that fit the bill and was hopeful/thought that a couple of people would throw ones in and so glad you and @RobMCFC did.

The whole of that song is powerful but the fourth verse in particular is great storytelling.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.