Blue Moon Playlist Review Club - Season 2 - Episode 24 - RobMCFC – Primary and Secondary Colours (pg 412)

As a huge fan of early Sunny Boys for those outside oz or fans of Jeremy Oxley ( check them out ) and the Saints you cannot come to any other conclusion that listening to this EP along with songs like Ages of You is nothing more than making a fun day that much better. I bought it in 1985 and have battered it to pillar and post and back in an effort to leave it memory but I cannot and it still sounds as good as it did back then along with the desire to keep them as fresh and relevant forty years on and doing so. If I make it to ninety deaf and incoherent I will still want to listen to these high energy, unrelenting tracks that just make one more than forever grateful that the lads from Athens decided to make records. Not scoring but this as close to a ten as I could give 5 tracks.

It is a wonderful thing to find music that endures and still makes you feel the same 40 years on from the first time you heard it, or even better when your relationship with it has evolved over the years but remains as strong just in different ways.

I like REM in the main. Foggy put me on to this playlist some time ago and I like it without raving about it. I get what people say about the bands evolution, I have time for every album from way back until their last couple and they have written some exceptional songs throughout their career. I have a soft spot for Monster which not many appreciate but I saw them do it live and was well impressed. I saw them again a couple of years later and it was probably the worst concert I have ever attended. They really were just going through the motions.
(Well maybe my last visit to see The Who was worse).

@RobMCFC can you add me to the list of playlist proposers please.
Done.

REM, are in the U2/Coldplay/Killers bracket for me, besides a couple of decent songs, I find them irritating and beyond my comprehension of why they are so popular.....never heard this before, and to me highlights why I'm no fan, Stipe has a voice (to my ears) like fingernails down a blackboard!

Oh dear.
Michael Stipe sings Altered Images…
Not for me, they seem indistinguishable largely with almost the same time signature.
Much prefer the later stuff they produced.
I’ll listen a bit more before marking it.

Understand where the every song sounds the same comes from.I enjoyed the songs.
For a band just starting out it is a pretty decent effort.
My introduction to R E M was So Central Rain and the Voice of Harold.

Understand where the every song sounds the same comes from.I enjoyed the songs.
For a band just starting out it is a pretty decent effort.
My introduction to R E M was So Central Rain and the Voice of Harold.

That's why a lot of folks thought DLO was worse than your normal collection of B-sides. He was reading the liner notes from the record as a joke during a studio sound check for SCR. Cute, but that doesn't belong on a record released for public consumption. I do like their version of Pylon's "Crazy", though (a band the members of REM thought they were worse than, Pylon also being from Athens, Georgia) and -- especially -- their version of "Toys In The Attic." 1970s Aerosmith is the only Aerosmith for me.

My 5 picks go from my 20th birthday onwards.
After my teenage years the only time I listened to the radio was the night time shows.
John Peel,Kid Jenson and Janice Long.My post punk and indie phase.
Back shifts and night shifts made better with the music on show at the time.

1...Animation by the Skids.
Loved the Skids.Brilliant front man in Richard Jobson and guitarist Stuart Adamson.
Opening track of the Skids lp Days in Europa.

2...Faron Young by Prefab Sprout.
First song I ever heard from Prefab Sprout.From a John Peel festive 50.
When he got it right songwriter Paddy McAloon delivered some of the greatest pop songs of the 80's.
From the lp Steve McQueen.

3...Death of a European by Three Johns.
Just one of my favourite songs by a group that I have no real interest in.
We all have songs that are one hit wonders for us.
From the lp The World by Storm.

4....Keep on Keepin on by The Redskins.
12" mix of a record that I owed.
Political Skinhead band fronted by Chris Dean.
I loved his voice and the band influences of soul,rockabilly,punk and pop.
From the brilliant lp Neither Washington Nor Moscow.

5...My favourite Dress by The Wedding Present.
Another night time radio favourite.
I just love the guitar rift and story of the song.
An 80's classic.
From the lp George Best.

Sorry for The Smiths,Joy Division/New Order,Theatre of Hate/Spear of Destiny and the Fall and many more who could have been included in the list.

'Kin hell, track 4 giving me 80s LPYS flashbacks.

Familiar with all of these but haven't listened to most of them in years so going to really enjoy this. Whatever else could/should be said about John Peel he undoubtedly influenced the listening tastes of a huge number of us.

Thanks to @FogBlueInSanFran for his REM EP playlist which I enjoyed especially‘Gardening at Night’ and ‘Carnival of Sorts’.

Next up for our listening pleasure is @bennyboy, who given his nominations on the
other thread I’m looking forward to.
Did I get it wrong? I wrote OB1 down for 5th December?

EDIT - No, here's the original post:-

OB1 5/12/22
bennyboy 12/12/22
Psychedelic Casual 19/12/22
knaresboroughBlue 26/12/22

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.