Blue Moon Playlist Review Club - Season 2 - Episode 24 - RobMCFC – Primary and Secondary Colours (pg 412)

BM – Alcohol

Thanks to @Mancitydoogle for putting this playlist concept together. What I enjoyed the most about this playlist was the many selections I hadn’t heard, especially the humorous takes on the subject.

Of the initial 5 songs, I enjoyed “Dancing With The Women At The Bar” again by Raleigh's own Whiskeytown. A very enjoyable selection. “Sunday Mornin’ Comin’ Down” and “Drunk Last Night” aren’t exactly how I’m feeling this Sunday AM, but I did enjoy both of those songs for the first time. I might have celebrated a bit more if a certain top ranked tennis player had lost in the middle of the night Paris and UK time, but alas…

The Big Winner
“Whiskey And Water” – Tindersticks.
Surprise, surprise (for me), another UK Indie band I have missed out on! Need to give them more of a listen during this upcoming hiatus, but definitely checked all the boxes on a fantastic song I really enjoyed. The screeching violin and distorted electric guitars to go along with Stuart’s vocal delivery really made this quite a powerful piece. @Out on blue 6 comes through again!

My top 5 other new tracks (not yet heard in some or no particular order):
  1. “Broken Window Serenade” – Whiskey Myers, just very well done, country rock style up my alley, loved the harmonica on it
  2. “Drink it Slow” - The Delta Saints, loved the Bayou boogie groove and New Orleans sound of this one.
  3. “Whiskey Remourse” – Del Amitri, another great tune, and a further listen is planned on this Scottish alternative band.
  4. “Happy Hour” – Ted Hawkins, I imagined hearing and singing along to this rolling alone tune at one, that would be my pick (next to the “two drinks for the price of one”)
  5. “The Parting Glass” – Karine Polwart, Dave Milligan, of all the songs, this song grew the most on me over the past two weeks. Nicely done!

Top 5 tracks I knew but enjoyed listening to again (in some or no particular order):
  1. “I Wish I Was Sober” – Frightened Rabbit, now a favourite also on my main playlist
  2. “Take Your Whiskey Home” – Van Halen, has held up well over the years despite not hearing for a while
  3. “Cigarettes & Alcohol” – Oasis, is it OK to say I still prefer Noel’s vocals?
  4. “Copperhead Road” – Steve Earl, always have had Bon Jovi “Wanted Dead or Alive” vibes in the beginning guitar chords
  5. “The Tiki Bar Is Open” - John Hiatt, almost made the next list

Top 5 humorous lyrics tracks I enjoyed the most (in some or no particular order):
  1. “Drinkin’ On The Job” – The Rainmakers, crafty lyrics on each profession’s state of mind – “still looking for its car keys” the clincher
  2. “Beer” – Reel Big Fish, an enjoyable tune, great guitar work, and “I think I’ll have myself a …”
  3. “Cognac” - Buddy Guy, Jeff Beck, Keith Richards, the character driven lyrics worked well
  4. “Barley & Grape Rag” – Rory Gallagher, all around enjoyable, harmonica, guitars, and vocals
  5. "Happy Hour" – The Housemartins, a different take than the first, and what a good place to be.

Last edited:
Have it on again now.
Playing it straight through now, not on shuffle.
I’m going through a long section of country now.
It’s all good stuff, but I think I prefer it on shuffle for variety. Mix it up a bit.

Dr. feel good takes me back. George Thorogood too. Whiskey Myers is new to me and I like it.

I’ll add a few more in as I get to them.

Too busy listening to other people's picks to notice that my first pick wasn't included :-( (Don't Talk - 10000 Maniacs)

Too busy listening to other people's picks to notice that my first pick wasn't included :-( (Don't Talk - 10000 Maniacs)
A very nice tune, I'll add to my "Heard That Before", and it wasn't a song I was initially thinking was about alcohol, but see that now in the lyrics.

A very underrated song from that group that sounds as good now as I remember then when all I had for alcohol back then as states transitioned from 18 to 21 years to consume was a pretty decent fake ID.

Alcohol - Mancitydoogle

An enjoyable playlist, thanks to @Mancitydoogle for putting it together.

A solid initial five of which Whiskeytown's "Dancing With The Woman At The Bar" was the pick of the bunch.

Others new to me:-

"Whiskey Remorse" - Del Amitri. I have the Change Everything album and saw them on the tour for that album (when they were supported by Matthew Sweet). I've never heard the bonus tracks but this was great and should have been on the original album.

"Whiskey and Water" - Tindersticks. I enjoyed the album that journolud nominated for the album club and this song was also fantastic, full of drama.

"Champagne" - Django Django - something a little different and I thoroughly enjoyed this track.

"Cognac" - Buddy Guy, Jeff Beck & Keith Richards - great track from three guitar legends.

Plenty of stuff I've heard before that I enjoyed, the main song being Steve Earle's "Copperhead Road".

In my favourite 10 songs of all-time list. Love the instruments, the slow build up, the change of gears half-way through and probably the best story song ever written. Somebody should make a film of this song, the imagery is that good.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.