Blue Moon Playlist Review Club - Season 2 - Episode 25 - OB1 – Soundtracks (pg 422)

Thanks to @feelymcfeel for this week's playlist.

Thanks to those who listened and posted their thoughts.

As it's my week to create a playlist, I'll be back in a few moments.

@Mancitydoogle - as we said we'd give people three weeks notice, it's probably a good idea if you come up with a list of nominators for December, starting 5th December. See the list of people in page #1. You can post your list on here when done and I'll update the first post accordingly.

RobMCFC – Playlist #1 – Dramatic & Moody

I’ve named my first playlist for this thread Dramatic & Moody.

Regular visitors to the music threads will know that my favourite genre is Americana, but as we’ve already had an Americana-themed playlist, I thought I’d go with something a little different.

The songs in this playlist all feature either dramatic musical changes and left turns or some moody atmospherics. The final song on the playlist is not available on Spotify (in the UK at least) so the YouTube video is included below.
  1. “Under the Sun” – Dare (1988)
  2. “Back From Managua” – The Blessing (1991)
  3. “Phantom in the Valley” – Hownlin’ Rain (2012)
  4. “Rusalka, Rusalka / The Wild Rushes” – The Decemberists (2018)
  5. “The Execution” – Paul Kelly (1986)

Back in my early 20s, I did volunteer work for Radio Cavell, Oldham’s hospital radio station. I was down in the studio setting up for my show one day when I came across a signed vinyl LP by some band that I’d never heard of. It turned out that the band was Dare, a bunch of guys from Failsworth and Oldham, who were trying to make it big in the world of rock. Lead singer Darren Wharton had played keyboards in Thin Lizzy and Dare’s keyboard player was none other than Brian Cox – future TV physicist!

I love “Under the Sun” – it’s a real moody piece with guitarist Vinny Burns delivering a Comfortably Numb-esque solo.

The Blessing had a minor radio hit in 1991 with “Highway 5”. I was on the plane to Lanzarote that summer (my first ever plane trip), reading that month’s issue of Q magazine when I came across a review of their debut album, Prince of the Deep Water. In truth, there’s a fair amount of throwaway soul/rock songs on there, but mixed in amongst them are 4 or 5 superb performances, many of which are truly atmospheric.

“Back From Managua” starts with Spanish-style guitar, finishes with pounding jungle drums and features a goosebump-inducing acceleration as the strings rise up about half-way through.

3. “Phantom in the Valley” – Howlin’ Rain (2012)

This is more of a traditional rock song from a Californian classic rock outfit, so what gets it into this list? Well, first there’s face-melting Hammond solo part-way through and then there’s the mind-boggling change of style at the end. But somehow, it just works.

In Slavic folklore, a “Rusalka” is a malicious spirit, typically feminine, who lures men into the water to their deaths. This song by The Decemberists features a brooding build-up, full of menace before exploding into life and culminating in stirring, dramatic strings. A whole story in one song.

Whilst I’d heard of Paul Kelly, I’d never listened to his music until an Australian colleague lent me a few CDs. An Australian Springsteen is probably as a good a description as any, but whilst Kelly has written a few stirring anthems, it’s his character studies in which he presents everyday people that are his true calling card.

That said, this song is unlike anything else in his repertoire ….. and I only heard it for the first time about four months ago. For some bonkers reason, his breakthrough album, Gossip, is not available on Spotify and you can’t get it on CD via Amazon! Fortunately, it is on YouTube and this album track, which features astounding guitar work from Kelly’s late guitarist, Steve Connelly, and an impassioned vocal (partly sung on French by Kelly) is the “must-listen” track to round out this playlist.

“Voici le temps des assassins”, Kelly sings – starting with a whisper and ends up screaming it. It means “This is the time for murderers”. Nice.

Regular visitors to the music threads will know that my favourite genre is Americana, but as we’ve already had an Americana-themed playlist, I thought I’d go with something a little different.

The songs in this playlist all feature either dramatic musical changes and left turns or some moody atmospherics. The final song on the playlist is not available on Spotify (in the UK at least) so the YouTube video is included below.

Back in my early 20s, I did volunteer work for Radio Cavell, Oldham’s hospital radio station. I was down in the studio setting up for my show one day when I came across a signed vinyl LP by some band that I’d never heard of. It turned out that the band was Dare, a bunch of guys from Failsworth and Oldham, who were trying to make it big in the world of rock. Lead singer Darren Wharton had played keyboards in Thin Lizzy and Dare’s keyboard player was none other than Brian Cox – future TV physicist!

I love “Under the Sun” – it’s a real moody piece with guitarist Vinny Burns delivering a Comfortably Numb-esque solo.

The Blessing had a minor radio hit in 1991 with “Highway 5”. I was on the plane to Lanzarote that summer (my first ever plane trip), reading that month’s issue of Q magazine when I came across a review of their debut album, Prince of the Deep Water. In truth, there’s a fair amount of throwaway soul/rock songs on there, but mixed in amongst them are 4 or 5 superb performances, many of which are truly atmospheric.

“Back From Managua” starts with Spanish-style guitar, finishes with pounding jungle drums and features a goosebump-inducing acceleration as the strings rise up about half-way through.

This is more of a traditional rock song from a Californian classic rock outfit, so what gets it into this list? Well, first there’s face-melting Hammond solo part-way through and then there’s the mind-boggling change of style at the end. But somehow, it just works.

In Slavic folklore, a “Rusalka” is a malicious spirit, typically feminine, who lures men into the water to their deaths. This song by The Decemberists features a brooding build-up, full of menace before exploding into life and culminating in stirring, dramatic strings. A whole story in one song.

Whilst I’d heard of Paul Kelly, I’d never listened to his music until an Australian colleague lent me a few CDs. An Australian Springsteen is probably as a good a description as any, but whilst Kelly has written a few stirring anthems, it’s his character studies in which he presents everyday people that are his true calling card.

That said, this song is unlike anything else in his repertoire ….. and I only heard it for the first time about four months ago. For some bonkers reason, his breakthrough album, Gossip, is not available on Spotify and you can’t get it on CD via Amazon! Fortunately, it is on YouTube and this album track, which features astounding guitar work from Kelly’s late guitarist, Steve Connelly, and an impassioned vocal (partly sung on French by Kelly) is the “must-listen” track to round out this playlist.

“Voici le temps des assassins”, Kelly sings – starting with a whisper and ends up screaming it. It means “This is the time for murderers”. Nice.

5 more I’ve never heard.

Again another 5 tracks I’d not heard before, although I have heard of ‘The Blessing’s
Highway 5’ and Paul Kelly.

btw Rob is this you in your 20s ?

Again another 5 tracks I’d not heard before, although I have heard of ‘The Blessing’s
Highway 5’ and Paul Kelly.

btw Rob is this you in your 20s ?

That's very good - I'd not seen it before.

Whilst we were allowed to play anything within reason, we were not allowed to play "Please Release Me" (and other similar titles).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.