Blue Moon Playlist Review Club - Season 2 - Episode 25 - OB1 – Soundtracks (pg 422)

The last song isn’t available on American Spotify FYI @RobMCFC — will try YouTube.
Doesn’t surprise me. Can’t think of a reason why it would be in the US and not the UK.

I read a biography of Paul Kelly a few months ago and there was a lot in there about him being embarrassed by some of his earlier releases - not that he should be - and that he owns most of the rights, so maybe it was his choice.

But not to have your most famous album on Spotify - or available to buy on CD is incredible. The big hits are on his best of, but somehow this song is overlooked.

I’m sorry I’ve been a little late to this thread. Going to offer up a few comments tomorrow on yours, Rob. I listened to the first four today. Must say based on your record choices on the other thread, these surprised me a little!
The idea of picking something a little different to what I've picked before was intentional, but I do love all of these songs, and whilst Americana is my favourite genre, I do like dramatic and atmospheric music as well.

Giving it another listen and whereas I don’t mind listening to any of them I still don’t see it as anything I’d reach for myself.

First one, is something I’ve just never gone for in the rock genre. I immediately thought of another Europe. Second listen, I’m thinking maybe more like a cross between them and Asia.
I did listen to Asia back in the day when I was searching for an extension of the broken up Yes, but really it’s manufactured classical rock with no real substance. That’s my take.

Don’t really like the vocals on track two.

Track three improves.

Track four as some others have mentioned is not bad. But there does seem to be a similar theme to the rest of the music so far until he gets into The Wild Rushes.

That’s one I would get into and maybe investigate further. The Decemberists. I’ll have to remember them.

Paul Kelly.
That has a nice authentic feel to it and it grabbed me immediately.

So I’ll stick with my original summation that the list is a pleasant mix that mostly is individually not to my taste, but it does progressively improve song by song.

First one, is something I’ve just never gone for in the rock genre. I immediately thought of another Europe.

Track four as some others have mentioned is not bad. But there does seem to be a similar theme to the rest of the music so far until he gets into The Wild Rushes.

That’s one I would get into and maybe investigate further. The Decemberists. I’ll have to remember them.
I saw Dare supporting Europe at the Apollo, so that's a good comparison.

The Decemberists are an interesting band. The album that this track is from is not their best (IMO) - Give The Crane Wife a listen.

I'm sorry but having been away for a week, I have quite a lot on my plate. Is it possible to be excused from this round and start again in January when things should have calmed down somewhat?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.