Blue Moon Playlist Review Club - Season 2 - Episode 25 - OB1 – Soundtracks (pg 422)

They are not 'written' for the films, are they? Rehashed and renamed, more like.

And yes I did go see the concert thing.
You are saying that John Williams themes for Raiders of the Lost Ark, Star Wars and Jurassic Park etc ate not written for the films? As far as I am aware they are, but I'm interested to hear more.

You are saying that John Williams themes for Raiders of the Lost Ark, Star Wars and Jurassic Park etc ate not written for the films? As far as I am aware they are, but I'm interested to hear more.

He does have a lot more you could hear.

More of the same ;).

He does have a lot more you could hear.

More of the same ;).
I'm guessing that you are saying that before he was commissioned to write the Star Wars score, he already had a similar piece of music? Same for Raiders and Jurassic Park?

I'm guessing that you are saying that before he was commissioned to write the Star Wars score, he already had a similar piece of music? Same for Raiders and Jurassic Park?

More or less. But it was a passing joke that doesn't merit as much expanding.

It is not that controversial a take btw, it is quite a common opinion in music. He reuses a lot.

More or less. But it was a passing joke that doesn't merit as much expanding.

It is not that controversial a take btw, it is quite a common opinion in music. He reuses a lot.
I watched this video, just out of interest.

The conclusion is that his main themes are not copies - but some of the incidental music may be guided by directors instructions based on a temp track they've used before the main score is composed.

Vivaldi's detractors used to say he wrote the same concerto time and again so Williams is in good company.

On the (sort of) subject of Vivald, had the rules been different I would have nominated Max Richter's beautiful "On The Nature of Daylight" from Arrival which is one of my favourite films of recent years. Written prior to the film but it fits so well you could easily assume it was composed specifically for the scenes it so movingly accompanies.

Similarly though he hadn't even played it for donkeys years and was totally obscure, Anton Karas's theme for The Third Man is disqualified too sadly.

Of the big hitters no one has mentioned Michael Nyman yet. Though it's neither his best or his most successful I'm going to go with:

Chasing Sheep Is Best Left To Shepherds - Michael Nyman (from The Draughtsman's Contract)

Because...

It's a Peter Greenaway collaboration, a paring I've enjoyed over the years.

It shows the fuzzy nature of many soundtracks, though the soundtrack was 100% written for the film it deliberately reuses/riffs off elements of Purcell.

Most importantly it compliments the film brilliantly and sets a tone, aiding the narrative and another voice to that of the actors in the way that great film music should.

Not a problem, will change, although anything by John Williams should probably be excluded as well, given they are all pretty much covers.

Man of the Hour is great but a bit dour. Unfortunately, the two Vedder songs from Dead Man Walking are not on spotify, so not looking good for the guy. The Esbjorn Svensson cover of The Face of Love is excellent, just fyi for anyone willing to give it a go.

Let's swap it to Sex Hair - Mouse Rat. At least it is original, right.

What movie was it written for?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.