Blue Moon Playlist Review Club - Season 2 - Episode 25 - OB1 – Soundtracks (pg 422)

I watched this video, just out of interest.

The conclusion is that his main themes are not copies - but some of the incidental music may be guided by directors instructions based on a temp track they've used before the main score is composed.

He has a distinctive identity.

I have quite a few of his soundtracks but not a huge number and I’ve not noticed much at all that I thought was from another movie (sequels aside) but similarities, sure.

Vivaldi's detractors used to say he wrote the same concerto time and again so Williams is in good company.

On the (sort of) subject of Vivald, had the rules been different I would have nominated Max Richter's beautiful "On The Nature of Daylight" from Arrival which is one of my favourite films of recent years. Written prior to the film but it fits so well you could easily assume it was composed specifically for the scenes it so movingly accompanies.

Similarly though he hadn't even played it for donkeys years and was totally obscure, Anton Karas's theme for The Third Man is disqualified too sadly.

Of the big hitters no one has mentioned Michael Nyman yet. Though it's neither his best or his most successful I'm going to go with:

Chasing Sheep Is Best Left To Shepherds - Michael Nyman (from The Draughtsman's Contract)

Because...

It's a Peter Greenaway collaboration, a paring I've enjoyed over the years.

It shows the fuzzy nature of many soundtracks, though the soundtrack was 100% written for the film it deliberately reuses/riffs off elements of Purcell.

Most importantly it compliments the film brilliantly and sets a tone, aiding the narrative and another voice to that of the actors in the way that great film music should.

Arrival. Add it to the list of good book to film adaptations. Good shout.

The Boxer Rebellion - If you run

Written for the popcorn rom-com Going the Distance. The band feature in the film as part of the story, have two other songs in it, but this one was written specifically for it. Despite having a bit of a catalogue already, the film is what made them (more) known. Nice little indie number for a couple. People that like Manchester Orchestra might want to explore this band further.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.