blue or white shorts

White shorts by an absolute country mile. I really hope we wear the white shorts in Europe this year, I know it's a long shot but the shite wear white socks in Europe.

There was a feature on De Gea's mistakes on SSN and it showed a team in all blue and for the first 2 seconds I couldn't figure out who it was, I thought it was West Ham in their away kit. It was Dzeko scoring in the Charity Shield.

Shame City's best team for 40 years isn't playing in a City kit this year but you can't have it all I guess!

Stuuuuuu said:
Manchester City's colours are blue and white; not blue and blue. Sort it out City.

i disagree, the last time we were any good 1976/77/78 we regularly wore sky blue shorts. It's funny as far as I can remember we never wore them after that, and now we have a team in all honesty that is better than that late 70's side, we are now wearing them again, ooooh the irony. "We'll be top at 5 o'clock, we'll be top at five o'clock"

Without wanting to start the debate again, I have come across some material from 1977 when City first adopted an all-Blue kit while researching for the next "Big Book Of City." Anyway, there were letters complaining about 'City's awful all-blue strip' (written by someone called B Pullan from Heywood). Pullan asks why the club has ditched white shorts - 'that strip was presentable, smart, neat - and famous.'

The official response came back explaining why City changed to an all-blue: "The reason for the change was the problem encountered with frequent colour clashes resulting in City having to change from white shorts. Our alternate colour was then black shorts and that did not combine at all with blue."

So that was the reason then. Nothing to do with look, style etc. Simply to avoid clashing. Things were different in 77 when the Club tried to wear home colours at away games as well and only change when they absolutely had to, but personally I don't think it holds up that well as an excuse. We could have worn blue & white at home and our away kit on our travels if there was a clash.

Nowadays, short clashes are not viewed in the same way and clubs can even get away with wearing blue shirts when facing City (Everton for example).

Anyway, thought I'd share the reason. Incidentally, the idea of an all blue kit lasted until 1985 when Billy McNeill insisted that they ditched blue shorts because he thought blue and white was well-known as City's kit.

badge said:
GaudinoMotors said:
White

And whilst we're at it - can we have a blue shirt too - not the incipid washed out thing we have now.

hundred percent with you on that one.

I would have preferred White Shorts with this kit. That would have fitted in better with the Club's policy of using styles from the past. Thus, with the lighter shade of sky blue it would have closely resembled the 1950's kit. Especially with the hooped socks.

I've always liked the very light sky blue. It's the traditional City blue IMO.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.