Blue Tuesday (Lakey's question): Derby Day defining moments!

blueripple

Hello everyone

Again, many thanks to all of you who tuned in last week. This week's burning question is:

What's your defining derby day moment?

It doesn't necessarily have to be a goal or a piece of match action; what we're looking for is personal memories (good or bad) that sum up a particular Manchester derby day for you. And, as per usual, yours could be read out by Emily on Tuesday, between 6pm and 7pm, on Radio Manchester.

Here's mine (a sneak preview from my autobiography, which I'm working on as we speak!). It relates to the 5-1 in 1989, surprise, surprise, and is a moment that really affected my mindset that day:

It's the morning of September 23rd, 1989, our day of reckoning. Halfway through my journey to Maine Road I pull up to the traffic lights at the junction of Stockport Road and Dickenson Road in Longsight. Stood at the adjacent bus stop is a City fan in his thirties with his arm around his young son, both of them kitted out in replica shirts and the old-style blue, white and red scarves. Having clocked me sitting there in my car, this fella nudges his lad and then does something that will stay with me forever. Pressing his palms together as if in prayer, he looks at me beseechingly and simply mouths “please … please … please.”

The traffic lights turn to green and I speed off towards the ground, my bottom lip quivering. It’s the haunted look in the fan’s eyes that’s done me in. Here’s a bloke wearied by years of taunts and jibes from United fans, a long-time Blue aching for a shaft of light to keep his hope afloat and his pride intact. I feel as though I owe him one.

There’s only one thing for it. We have to beat United.

OAB, AAB

Lakey

Well it has to be the Munchen Derby. Everything about that day kind of fell into place.

Being the arrogant tools we were, a couple of the Sydney boys went to the most recognised Rag pub in Sydney. We stood silent during the silence, as did every City fan at the ground. Although being outnumbered by a round fifty-to-one, we were louder and prouder. Had a real sense of "you see the scum you never run" about it.

It was only until the next morning when I got home that I realised the third kit I was wearing was now brown through the amount of drink we had thrown at us.

blueripple said:
Hello everyone

Again, many thanks to all of you who tuned in last week. This week's burning question is:

It doesn't necessarily have to be a goal or a piece of match action; what we're looking for is personal memories (good or bad) that sum up a particular Manchester derby day for you. And, as per usual, yours could be read out by Emily on Tuesday, between 6pm and 7pm, on Radio Manchester.

Here's mine (a sneak preview from my autobiography, which I'm working on as we speak!). It relates to the 5-1 in 1989, surprise, surprise, and is a moment that really affected my mindset that day:

It's the morning of September 19th, 1989, our day of reckoning. Halfway through my journey to Maine Road I pull up to the traffic lights at the junction of Stockport Road and Dickenson Road in Longsight. Stood at the adjacent bus stop is a City fan in his thirties with his arm around his young son, both of them kitted out in replica shirts and the old-style blue, white and red scarves. Having clocked me sitting there in my car, this fella nudges his lad and then does something that will stay with me forever. Pressing his palms together as if in prayer, he looks at me beseechingly and simply mouths “please … please … please.”

The traffic lights turn to green and I accelerate off towards the ground, my bottom lip quivering. It’s the haunted look in the fan’s eyes that’s done me in. Here’s a bloke wearied by years of taunts and jibes from United fans, a long-time Blue aching for a shaft of light to keep his hope afloat and his pride intact. I feel as though I owe him one.

OAB, AAB

Lakey

".....Lake stayed on his feet and that was the key...."

The feeling of utter, utter dejection when that **** Wilkie awarded the rags a penalty at Old Trafford in Feb '96, when the scoreline was 1-0 to us after Rosler's wonder-goal. Cantona's nonplussed reaction said it all; Frontzeck hadn't touched him. All downhill from there...

I know we ended up losing the game and there have certainly been many better derby moments, but for me I'll never forget Uwe Rosler's celebration when he came off the bench and equalised against United at Maine Road then ran over to Alan Ball pointing to his shirt.

Uwe was my favourite player and that celebration just summed him up and the passion he has. Ball had dropped him for the big derby game, and if rumours were to be believed, the two of them didn't get on particularly well, and apart from the fact that Uwe loved every goal he scored and you knew it meant a lot to him, you just got the feeling that one meant a little bit more. I always said he played a little bit like a fan would play if one of us got the chance to wear the shirt, and that celebration showed it.

Shame we lost that game and ended up getting relegated a few weeks later but this is City after all!

Denis Law's backheel, Hinchcliffe's celebration, Gary Chuckle gifting the ball to the Goat and the Goat's 100th goal for us, pressing his finger to his lips infront of the united fans. And the 50th anniversary of the air disaster where our fans made us so proud.

blueripple said:
Hello everyone

It's the morning of September 19th, 1989, our day of reckoning. Halfway through my journey to Maine Road I pull up to the traffic lights at the junction of Stockport Road and Dickenson Road in Longsight. Stood at the adjacent bus stop is a City fan in his thirties with his arm around his young son, both of them kitted out in replica shirts and the old-style blue, white and red scarves. Having clocked me sitting there in my car, this fella nudges his lad and then does something that will stay with me forever. Pressing his palms together as if in prayer, he looks at me beseechingly and simply mouths “please … please … please.”

The traffic lights turn to green and I accelerate off towards the ground, my bottom lip quivering. It’s the haunted look in the fan’s eyes that’s done me in. Here’s a bloke wearied by years of taunts and jibes from United fans, a long-time Blue aching for a shaft of light to keep his hope afloat and his pride intact. I feel as though I owe him one.

OAB, AAB

Lakey

It was September 23rd wasn't it?

the goats goal for making a prize dick out of a player who hates us so much

PistonBlue said:
blueripple said:
Hello everyone

OAB, AAB

Lakey

It was September 23rd wasn't it?

Course it was, my eagle-eyed man...was speaking to Dave White tonight about our 5-1 anniversary 'do' on the 19th and it must have stuck in my head...I think I need some sleep!!!

blueripple said:
Course it was, my eagle-eyed man...was speaking to Dave White tonight about our 5-1 anniversary 'do' on the 19th and it must have stuck in my head...I think I need some sleep!!!

You lads having a 'do'? Of course, didn't realise it's 20 years ago! Blimey that is scary. The date sticks in my head not just because it was one of the best games I've ever been to but it was just two days after my 16th birthday.

Have a good 'un!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.