Blue Tuesday: Lakey's question: Glass Half Empty?

It isn't half empty unless after a poor draw or defeat.

Everytime we get to a quarter final half the fans think we are already at Wembley, and then there is a massive fall out when we lose up.

When we win we always look up the table half full, when we lose the half empty thing comes in.

I honestly think it's something to do with the colour blue. I'm sure we attract more than our fair share of manic depressives and that's what they mean when they say someone's "got the blues" !

City have young fan base and so most of the supportors will have not seen city win anything

Prestwich_Blue said:
Why are City fans so pessimistic?

Well how about things like this:
We've gone on an amzing run for the last few games of the season and are within spitting distance of a UEFA Cup place. We're at home against our rivals for that place and have to beat them to get it. We're drawing but with seconds to go, we get a penalty and one of the Premiership's most deadly ever finishers steps up to take it. And it's saved.

Next season starts well and we play Bolton at home. After hitting the woodwork six or seven times, we are still goal-less as the minutes tick away. With a couple of minutes to go, under no pressure at all, your experienced captain handles the ball in his own area, gives away a penalty which is scored and you've lost a game you've completely dominated.

I was at that Bolton game and came away very angry (as did lots of others).

Being a Blue is a bit like life for me; i don't build my hopes up too much as there's usually something that will come along and fuck things up. The pessimism helps to avoid dissapointment. Having said that, i'm a three quarters full kind of Blue.

Times have changed my friends. The issue is no longer whether the glass is half full or empty. The issue these days is that the glass just isn't big enough!! Oh happy days.

As you can see from many places, including here at Bluemoon, the Optimistic/Pessimistic readings shoot off the chart either way after every game, regardless of the result. Lose and it's all 'Typical City' and 'Blame him or him' , but win like we have been doing and it's top 4 here we come!

I do think this is down to years and years of underachievement and poor results, which breeds an environment of expectation of failure. This is a generalisation though - you also always see some sticking up for a player or the team after a bad result, and others reminding us to keep our heads after epic wins, but in general the masses do swing wildly from love to hate.

I personally don't think it has much to do with that lot over the county line much at all. We've kicked ourselves in the teeth enough times that we expect 'typical city;' to turn up. Beat Arsenal then lose the next three against Southampton, Coventry and Bolton. It's happened for years with very few seasons as exceptions - whether it be player quality, coaching quality or whatever, we've never had consistency or gradual progress.

That is totally down to not getting the right manager, right investment, the right players and for constantly expecting too much by changing the goalposts every half a season. Some remember when we were great, others don't but still look around our ground and see it full each week, as the likes of Everton, Fulham and Villa got into Europe and seemed to click year after year, and we wondered 'why not us'?

It's taken a long time for our recent history and it';s implications to sink in with a lot of City fans - partly we still expect to mess it up. Give us a billion to spend, we'll still finish 6th. It's just going to take time to realise that this is the real thing. This isn't a well intentioned but ultimately doomed Franny-like period for the club, and these days there will be no Fowler-esque penalty miss in a game we need to win. Probably.

Even this season, we're looking good for 4th and Champs League, yet we seem cautious sometimes and with good reason - sacking a manger in controversial circumstances just after giving him millions to play about with, and taking a chance on a foreign manager. This latest wave of wins has helped immensely to ease some of our fears - we do actually look capable of being a top 4 side now.

It's just going to take time. As success breeds success, so does underachievement breed fear and cautiousness. Sooner or later we'll have to give up saying 'typical city', unless we're taking about our fifth and sixth goals going in within three minutes of each other ;)

Undoubtably half full, its been the best season for a generation. We've taken 6 points off Chelsea, 3 off Arsenal, 2 off Liverpool, pushed United into injury time in the PL and Carling Cup, bang on form for the derby at the weekend.
Mancini is doing his bit, the players are doing theirs, OK we looked a bit dodgy at the back but thats settled down now.

Next season is the real test.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.