Bluemoon Angling Thread

I tend to go to Loch Ken fairly regularly for pike. Nice part of the world, usually stay just outside of Castle Douglas near New Galloway. Also helps that if you stay at the Ken Bridge Hotel, it backs onto the River Ken so can fish from the pub!

Believe there's some good fly fishing there too. Or there was before a Krayfish invasion, not sure how that's affected the ecosystem there.
I am just south of Edinburgh so good for the trossachs and the Borders. On Coldingham Loch tomorrow:

It sits just north of Eyemouth about 100 yards from the North Sea. The water is so clear you can see every pebble on the bottom. Catch it right and its like heaven on earth. Rainbow, Brownies and Blues to around 8lb. The Lake of Menteith is another favourite:

A much bigger water that has recently opened up to Pike Fishing (as well as Trout on the fly). There are some real monsters 30lb + and some huge grown on Trout well into double figures. Again, if the weather is friendly you will be hard pushed to find a nicer place.

If you ever fancy a bash at Fly Fishing, give me a shout. I would be happy to take you out.

A great way to get rid of stress and relax , especially if you are surrounded by wildlife and beautiful countryside

I tend to go to Loch Ken fairly regularly for pike. Nice part of the world, usually stay just outside of Castle Douglas near New Galloway. Also helps that if you stay at the Ken Bridge Hotel, it backs onto the River Ken so can fish from the pub!

Believe there's some good fly fishing there too. Or there was before a Krayfish invasion, not sure how that's affected the ecosystem there.
I’ve not fished for a good few years but your post has brought back some fantastic memories. I was probably 7 when I first went to Loch Ken, we used to camp on a farm, Ringour (sp) within yards of the loch. No bogs, washed in the loch and a mile walk to the farm to get drinking water. Fishing, shooting and the biggest playground you could think of.

I assume you’ve been to the Cross Keys in New Galloway. I’ve spent many hours outside waiting for my old fella and even more hours inside as an adult drinking it dry.

I’ve stayed in the Ken Bridge a couple of times, the last time there were about 30 bikers in that scruffy bar at the back. It was an interesting night.

Re the crayfish, I think you might be right about them effecting the fishing as they eat the eggs and fry. I was driving past there about 3 years ago so stopped and popped my head over the bridge, saw very few fish but about 10 crayfish scurrying around.

SW Scotland is a great area to visit with few tourists and fairly easy to get to nowadays. Golf’s good as well. Enjoy your fishing.

I’ve not fished for a good few years but your post has brought back some fantastic memories. I was probably 7 when I first went to Loch Ken, we used to camp on a farm, Ringour (sp) within yards of the loch. No bogs, washed in the loch and a mile walk to the farm to get drinking water. Fishing, shooting and the biggest playground you could think of.

I assume you’ve been to the Cross Keys in New Galloway. I’ve spent many hours outside waiting for my old fella and even more hours inside as an adult drinking it dry.

I’ve stayed in the Ken Bridge a couple of times, the last time there were about 30 bikers in that scruffy bar at the back. It was an interesting night.

Re the crayfish, I think you might be right about them effecting the fishing as they eat the eggs and fry. I was driving past there about 3 years ago so stopped and popped my head over the bridge, saw very few fish but about 10 crayfish scurrying around.

SW Scotland is a great area to visit with few tourists and fairly easy to get to nowadays. Golf’s good as well. Enjoy your fishing.
Trap and eat the crayfish, they're good

Oh yeah, I've been in the Cross Keys a lot! There's a farmhouse just at the back of it that I've stayed at quite a few times. Fun memories of the place, especially the time where a mate who had never been to.the countryside before walked face first into a hedge because it was so dark. Or the time one lad wanted to do a "pub crawl" and didn't understand that meant a 5 mile round trip in between!

The Clachan in St John's Town of Dalry was a regular haunt too, just down the road. The bloke who owned that was called Andrew and he used to put on a lot of hunting stuff iirc. Nice guy, my old fella knew him fairly well.

On a fishing note, the Angling Times has got a spread about Partridge Fisheries in Warrington which has done really big carp in it. Never got around to going on there but it's on my list this season.

I’m a lifelong and passionate angler and I’m a big fish angler, an “all-rounder”, who fishes for specimens of various species according to the time of year.

The best advice I’d give to any angler is to start at the bottom, for small fish on the float. It is not fair on the fish to start fishing for carp, and particularly pike, without knowing how to do it. You will end up killing big and valuable fish.

Got back from fishing in Portugal only yesterday. Essentially, it's exploring the country with a fishing rod. Stayed in some magnificent (and cheap) places, drunk some beautiful wine, seen some wonderful sights and caught some decent carp and barbel. If i knew how to attach a photo I'd do it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.