Bluemoon Angling Thread

That's really interesting. When we were there, coarse fishing, in June I saw one, about 15lbs, caught and returned and plenty jumping. Canoeists I don't mind but must be a pain if you're fly fishing.
Whereabouts were you mate? Aramstone??
I have caught loads of barbel etc with canoes passing under my rod tip, but I have never hooked a salmon within 15 minutes of seeing a canoe, and on weekends especially I regularly see 30 +

:(

Whereabouts were you mate? Aramstone??
I have caught loads of barbel etc with canoes passing under my rod tip, but I have never hooked a salmon within 15 minutes of seeing a canoe, and on weekends especially I regularly see 30 +

:(

I was at How Capel. It was great actually, jumped out of the car and the first sound I heard was a reel screaming. And it was an angler on the opposite bank into a salmon. Watched him land it and then he torpedoed it back into the river. I couldn't believe my eyes. Talking to the gamekeeper later he told me that's how it's done these days and the logic behind it.

Interesting set up that baffled me all week. The river was normal level and there is actually a concrete walkway on the other side. So these guys would pull up, fish the hundred and fifty yards or so down, climb in the car and drive off. No need for waders or anything. Not one of them went back and re-fished the beat and always between the hours of 9-5.

In writing that, I've just realised it was October last year, not this June's visit at all so I was talking bollocks. Tempus fugit as we say in Bury

I was at How Capel. It was great actually, jumped out of the car and the first sound I heard was a reel screaming. And it was an angler on the opposite bank into a salmon. Watched him land it and then he torpedoed it back into the river. I couldn't believe my eyes. Talking to the gamekeeper later he told me that's how it's done these days and the logic behind it.

Interesting set up that baffled me all week. The river was normal level and there is actually a concrete walkway on the other side. So these guys would pull up, fish the hundred and fifty yards or so down, climb in the car and drive off. No need for waders or anything. Not one of them went back and re-fished the beat and always between the hours of 9-5.

In writing that, I've just realised it was October last year, not this June's visit at all so I was talking bollocks. Tempus fugit as we say in Bury

Ah! There were quite a few salmon about back end of the season last year.
If I would have returned a salmon like that I would fully expect the Ghillie to throttle me!
I spend as much time required holding the fish underwater until air bubbles are expelled from its gills and I am sure it is strong enough to not turn belly up mid river.
On the Dee in February this can mean very cold hands!

Ah! There were quite a few salmon about back end of the season last year.
If I would have returned a salmon like that I would fully expect the Ghillie to throttle me!
I spend as much time required holding the fish underwater until air bubbles are expelled from its gills and I am sure it is strong enough to not turn belly up mid river.
On the Dee in February this can mean very cold hands!
I have a mate who works on a fish farm who swears by the torpedo method. He says it is the most humane and most likely to see the fish recover well. Can’t say that has persuaded me. Doesn’t look great launching a rainbow from 4 feet above the water. I would prefer not to touch them at all.just flick the barbless hook out and let it recover in the net for a minute or so. I would imagine that’s not an option for salmon though.

Made me chuckle the last bit.could be Romanian but they all sound the same
They are decimating UK fish stocks. Eastern Europeans are the scourge of EA(environment agency) and are wiping out fish stocks costing thousands from anywhere. They use a long line of baited hooks at night and sneak back to haul them in and then clear off with a shed full.

I have a mate who works on a fish farm who swears by the torpedo method. He says it is the most humane and most likely to see the fish recover well. Can’t say that has persuaded me. Doesn’t look great launching a rainbow from 4 feet above the water. I would prefer not to touch them at all.just flick the barbless hook out and let it recover in the net for a minute or so. I would imagine that’s not an option for salmon though.

I have seen too many go belly up mid river mate. A salmon is easy to hold by the wrist underwater till its strength returns.

They are decimating UK fish stocks. Eastern Europeans are the scourge of EA(environment agency) and are wiping out fish stocks costing thousands from anywhere. They use a long line of baited hooks at night and sneak back to haul them in and then clear off with a shed full.

Always . knew there was something fishy, about them cnunts:)

They netted across the Wye. Dead barbel, chub, roach, salmon.
They eat the fuckin lot

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.