Bluemoon Angling Thread

I'd disagree with that. Matt Hayes got and gets plenty of coverage on the niche channels, but John Wilson was on mainstream TV for many years.
Perhaps you're right there mate. I think Wilson was an housewives choice, not for his looks but his endearing SOH.

Did you buy that shit multi tip middy feeder rod he endorsed? I did. Didn't have it long though.

Last edited:
Perhaps you're right there mate. I think Wilson was an housewives choice, not for his looks but his enderiend SOH.

Did you buy that shit multi tip middy feeder rod he endorsed? I did. Didn't have it long though.

I don't ever remember buying any of his tackle to be honest.

Looked for you the other day at half time, mate, by the way, but couldn't see anyone fitting the description on the spirals.

I don't ever remember buying any of his tackle to be honest.

Looked for you the other day at half time, mate, by the way, but couldn't see anyone fitting the description on the spirals.
We'll have a natter another game mate. Btw, that John Wilson endorsed Middy tackle was pretty wank tbh. I'm not a tackle snob but rod was about £75 iirc, and not balanced and a bit poker like.

Great stuff, especially the perch. My mate had a 3-10 from The Ribble this week.

Bloody hell, they're all over ! A real untapped source of specimen fish and one I can relate to.

Got withdrawal symptoms now not been since the Churnet. Had 3 days at How Caple booked all this weekend but got my mum's 90th, God bless her, so gave it to a mate.

On a separate note I bought some floats from renowned angling artist Andrew Field. Hugely expensive and far too good to use but I'm going to because they look beautiful and I deserve it.

Just to distract from that shitty result. I was out for most of the day on a small bank fishery near Coldingham. It was blowing an absolute hooly all day which meant casting a fly rod was pretty close to a boxing match, especially into the wind. I stopped at a dozen, killed the first two and the rest went back. Most the day was spent fishing small bugs under a bung (like a float). The fish were very spooky and had lots of offers but only three of four hook ups. Changed to a black and green rabbit lure for the last 30 minutes and had eight in just about consecutive casts.

The two trout I killed are prepped and in the freezer for Christmas. Two beauties around the 3 1/2 lb mark. Will make a trout mousse to go with the wild Scottish smoked salmon and Scottish langoustines for Christmas party!

Anyone fished the old co-op carp pond on Dean Road in Handforth?
Used to fish years ago and was thinking of starting up again as the Mrs lives right next to said pond so really handy for me.

Just remembered to update this thread:

On New Years Day morning I went out on the canal. Whilst walking over Christmas I realised that all the prey fish had moved into a marina where the water is warmer, so formulated a plan. I knew that my best window was New Years Day as the cold snap was due in that night. So I got there at dawn and snatched a bucket full of minnows and tiny roach and went after the perch. I've fished this area a lot and had a big one last April, so I knew there were some in there.

First I had a smallish pike. Then I struck gold: a lovely big perch which was nudging 3lb. I settled on 2lb 13oz which is a PB. I also had another pike and was home by midday.

A lovely start to the year.

Just remembered to update this thread:

On New Years Day morning I went out on the canal. Whilst walking over Christmas I realised that all the prey fish had moved into a marina where the water is warmer, so formulated a plan. I knew that my best window was New Years Day as the cold snap was due in that night. So I got there at dawn and snatched a bucket full of minnows and tiny roach and went after the perch. I've fished this area a lot and had a big one last April, so I knew there were some in there.

First I had a smallish pike. Then I struck gold: a lovely big perch which was nudging 3lb. I settled on 2lb 13oz which is a PB. I also had another pike and was home by midday.

A lovely start to the year.

Wow, brilliant. How did you catch the minnows/tiny roach ? How are you presenting them ? Would like to try this.

On 30th December I fished the River Avon near Warwick. Ideal conditions but didn't catch much. A few small roach.

Last Sunday fished the Trent & Misery for 9 hours. 5 gudgeon, 3 small roach and 2 small bream (not big enough to qualify as skimmers). Hard going.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.