Bluemoon Angling Thread

Yep, all the best everyone, been very quiet on here of late. I've been branching out into fly-fishing just lately, not very successfully I might add.

Last week we had a 4 day tour of the Borders scheduled, intending to fish the Whiteadder and the Watch Water. Unfortunately, the weather scuppered the river fishing so it was the Watch for 4 days, a couple of which were spent in the boat. We had a few but fishing was generally poor although the locals, predictably, caught more than we did. Highlight was finding a "perch hole" where my mate caught 3 perch on one cast. I managed to snap the end of my mate's £900 Sage rod which didn't impress him. Fortunately he was able to get a new end piece for £75 which arrived yesterday. Broken.

Fishing may have been crap but the bird life was wonderful. We managed to rescue a lapwing which we saw fluttering around on the bank and which we feared was caught in some fishing line. Once caught, however, it turned out to have caught its feet in some severely matted sheeps-wool. It took us 35 minutes or so to free it so badly was it entangled. But he strolled off pretty chipper afterwards, shaking his tail feathers and pecking at insects so, hopefully, he survived.

Off on our annual 5-day jaunt to the Wye on 19th. Hoping for, but not expecting, a bit of rain.I'll report back.

Yep, all the best everyone, been very quiet on here of late. I've been branching out into fly-fishing just lately, not very successfully I might add.

Last week we had a 4 day tour of the Borders scheduled, intending to fish the Whiteadder and the Watch Water. Unfortunately, the weather scuppered the river fishing so it was the Watch for 4 days, a couple of which were spent in the boat. We had a few but fishing was generally poor although the locals, predictably, caught more than we did. Highlight was finding a "perch hole" where my mate caught 3 perch on one cast. I managed to snap the end of my mate's £900 Sage rod which didn't impress him. Fortunately he was able to get a new end piece for £75 which arrived yesterday. Broken.

Fishing may have been crap but the bird life was wonderful. We managed to rescue a lapwing which we saw fluttering around on the bank and which we feared was caught in some fishing line. Once caught, however, it turned out to have caught its feet in some severely matted sheeps-wool. It took us 35 minutes or so to free it so badly was it entangled. But he strolled off pretty chipper afterwards, shaking his tail feathers and pecking at insects so, hopefully, he survived.

Off on our annual 5-day jaunt to the Wye on 19th. Hoping for, but not expecting, a bit of rain.I'll report back.
Hi NN, I know you're based in the Midlands now and do a bit on the Avon. Me and a couple of mates are down there on Wednesday for a three days. We're staying in Alcester and intended to fish around the Bidford to Fladbury areas. However reports are coming in that there has been a quite big fish kill around the area. Do you have any local knowledge?

Hi NN, I know you're based in the Midlands now and do a bit on the Avon. Me and a couple of mates are down there on Wednesday for a three days. We're staying in Alcester and intended to fish around the Bidford to Fladbury areas. However reports are coming in that there has been a quite big fish kill around the area. Do you have any local knowledge?

Fucking hell ! I hadn't heard that but just Googled it and the fish kill is from the Saxon Mill in Warwick, where I am a member of the syndicate that has that stretch, down to Wasperton which is where I do most of my fishing. Essentially, that most of my local river fishing wiped out.

I'm going to the tackle shop later so I'll sound them out though, of course, with it being the close season, we won't know the extent of the damage.

That's a good bit above where you are going I think.

Fucking hell ! I hadn't heard that but just Googled it and the fish kill is from the Saxon Mill in Warwick, where I am a member of the syndicate that has that stretch, down to Wasperton which is where I do most of my fishing. Essentially, that most of my local river fishing wiped out.

I'm going to the tackle shop later so I'll sound them out though, of course, with it being the close season, we won't know the extent of the damage.

That's a good bit above where you are going I think.
Thanks for getting back mate and sorry to be the deliverer of bad news. :-( It's our first trip to the area so will just have to play it by ear, and make the most of it, It's much too late to make alternative arrangements.

Thanks for getting back mate and sorry to be the deliverer of bad news. :-( It's our first trip to the area so will just have to play it by ear, and make the most of it, It's much too late to make alternative arrangements.

I'm going round the house ranting and raving and the Mrs tells me she knew because one of the local dog-walkers told her ! She didn't think to pass it on even though she'd heard me about going down there tonight !!@!

Nice one mate. I have fished the Watch many times but not recently. Its run by one of the Border clubs now I think?
I was speaking to one of the regulars down at Coldingham Loch who still fishes it regularly and he said it was fishing very hard - its a lovely place though, particularly for wildlife.

Even Coldingham was very tough last time out as they had just had their first Caenis hatch of the year and the fish definitely were not up for anything else. If you are in that area again, let me know and we could have a day on Coldingham.

Nice one mate. I have fished the Watch many times but not recently. Its run by one of the Border clubs now I think?
I was speaking to one of the regulars down at Coldingham Loch who still fishes it regularly and he said it was fishing very hard - its a lovely place though, particularly for wildlife.

Even Coldingham was very tough last time out as they had just had their first Caenis hatch of the year and the fish definitely were not up for anything else. If you are in that area again, let me know and we could have a day on Coldingham.

Thanks, I will.

Just been in the tackle shop and the owner reckons the fish-kill has been "catastrophic" for about 30 kms from Warwick downstream. He says he's been at the river with the EA for the last couple of days netting out the dead fish as leaving them in creates more problems.

He reckons if the storms continue, more stretches of river across the country will be closed to anglers so keep an eye on the website of whoever controls the bits you are going to fish.

The guy was, unsurprisingly, pretty depressed. It was like talking to the grim reaper but, in between in all, he did say that there were still fish being caught.

Just been in the tackle shop and the owner reckons the fish-kill has been "catastrophic" for about 30 kms from Warwick downstream. He says he's been at the river with the EA for the last couple of days netting out the dead fish as leaving them in creates more problems.

He reckons if the storms continue, more stretches of river across the country will be closed to anglers so keep an eye on the website of whoever controls the bits you are going to fish.

The guy was, unsurprisingly, pretty depressed. It was like talking to the grim reaper but, in between in all, he did say that there were still fish being caught.
Very sad, thanks for your input and good luck. I'll let you know how we get on .

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.