Bluemoon Angling Thread

Only three sleeps til I'm off to Rutland for a couple of days and Ravensthorpe for one day. Hope to catch on buzzers and dries. Weather looks ok if a little hot. Three days of fly fishing, malt whisky and good food. Its a hard life.

Only three sleeps til I'm off to Rutland for a couple of days and Ravensthorpe for one day. Hope to catch on buzzers and dries. Weather looks ok if a little hot. Three days of fly fishing, malt whisky and good food. Its a hard life.

How did you go on ?

On a whim, my mate and I went and fished Blithfield Reservoir in Staffordshire yesterday which was hard, especially without seats, but fun. Managed a couple on dry fly.

IMG-20240513-WA0001.jpg

How did you go on ?

On a whim, my mate and I went and fished Blithfield Reservoir in Staffordshire yesterday which was hard, especially without seats, but fun. Managed a couple on dry fly.

View attachment 118658
I’m just back an hour ago. Well the weather conspired to make it as tricky as possible to the extent that two out of six of us blanked Rutland on day 1. Day 2 was just as sunny but the wind was a little fresher and that helped a great deal and I managed fourteen mainly on diawl bachs. Fish were really tight in to the shore and it seems the dreaded killer shrimp is doing to Rutland what it did to Grafham. Day 3 on Ravensthorpe was scorchio x 10. Little wind. Perseverance paid off but boy you had to work for the scaly little fekers. I ended the day with four all on a gold arse cat booby fished deep. The obvious thing to do was stick on a di 5 or 7 and trundle stuff along the bottom but really…., me, in May, on Ravensthorpe, with my reputation?

We stayed in Manton for a couple of nights and Moulton for two. If any of you ever need accommodation near Pitsford or Ravensthorpe I can heartily recommend The Poplars Hotel in Moulton. Susan, the owner is an absolute gem. We do it all again in October.

I’m just back an hour ago. Well the weather conspired to make it as tricky as possible to the extent that two out of six of us blanked Rutland on day 1. Day 2 was just as sunny but the wind was a little fresher and that helped a great deal and I managed fourteen mainly on diawl bachs. Fish were really tight in to the shore and it seems the dreaded killer shrimp is doing to Rutland what it did to Grafham. Day 3 on Ravensthorpe was scorchio x 10. Little wind. Perseverance paid off but boy you had to work for the scaly little fekers. I ended the day with four all on a gold arse cat booby fished deep. The obvious thing to do was stick on a di 5 or 7 and trundle stuff along the bottom but really…., me, in May, on Ravensthorpe, with my reputation?

We stayed in Manton for a couple of nights and Moulton for two. If any of you ever need accommodation near Pitsford or Ravensthorpe I can heartily recommend The Poplars Hotel in Moulton. Susan, the owner is an absolute gem. We do it all again in October.
Yes, my mate fished Rutland last week and said it was unbelievably clear. He was suggesting tiger mussels. Same thing has happened in Ireland, absolutely fucked the fishing there. The water used to be peaty coloured, now gin clear.

As regards the fishing, yes the successful anglers were fishing very deep but, to be honest, even I balk at that. Same in the Seychelles, I'd rather blank than "dredge".

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.