Bluemoon Angling Thread

Could anyone recommend a good fly fishing venue in Greater Manchester or Cheshire please.
It’s my Dads 90th birthday soon so want to take him fly fishing.
We both know how to cast but not that experienced really. Any venue recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
If you want to catch pennine in littleborough is decent and relatively well stocked

I should be on the Annan this week, but too busy at the mo.
My brother and a mate are there and it's down to its bones..... Hardly any sea trout about though.
It's such a shame, but seems the same all across the west coast :(

Haha. I remember a few years ago fishing on the Ebro. We'd just done 8 hours on a boat with the guide. Came off the boat and went back to our hotel to shower and change clothes. My mate suggested we go and fish off the back of the village pleasure cruise boat for carp for an hour or two and take some cans. Good idea, I was up for it so we did. We forgot to take a rodrest so my mate cast out in the margin and rested his rod on a tin of ale. We were chatting about the catfishing on the guides boat whilst having a few tins. Next minute the rod was dragged in and off it went down stream. Quick as a flash I grabbed the tin of ale to stop it following the rod. My mate was cursing me all night as he was gutted he lost a Greys Prodigy carp rod and a good Fox reel. At least I saved his can of lager the ungrateful ****; )

Wouldn't mind a quid for every time I've caught in that open sewer.

Great river though.

Never lost a chair, but I did lose some beer in the Dane near Middlewich, years ago on a really hot summer's day. My dad brought a four pack for us (I was about 14 at the time so it was a bit of a treat) and we put it in the water in a landing net to keep it cool. After wandering further upstream, trying out a few different swims, we returned very ready for a nice cool beer, only to discover that the net had tipped over and allowed the cans to float off downstream. I went running down the bank, hoping to find them, which I eventually did - they were being drunk by a bunch of teenagers who had been swimming in the river! So if any of those lads are reading this, you're welcome!

Just in from day 3 on the Wye. Plenty of fish about but I'm fishing like a complete tosser. I've only had one barbel which I caught on the first day. The next two days I've been exploring new venues which are really hard to read with the rivers in flood.

Between the 6 of us we've had over 20 barbel up to 7lbs which isn't particularly large for the river but we've lost a lot in the submerged bushes. More decent chub than you can shake a stick at though. One of the lads had a twaite shad of over a pound. Oddly, the same lad caught one two years ago too.

Very tricky conditions.

The fisherman's lament; "the river will be just right tomorrow".

Arrived home just now from the Wye. Final day, river was fining down but we struggled for fish. All of us had just one, my brother's going just over 10lbs.

Brilliant holiday in trying conditions. The river looked absolutely brilliant as we packed up and was beginning to return to its normal colour. Already booked in for next year!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.